ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RoboColor 400 Startup  (Read 1884 times)

Harold Mayo

RoboColor 400 Startup
« on: May 16, 2005, 06:57:30 PM »

I been renting RoboColor 400's for the past few months.  I have found they are a PITA to get them to ignite.   I have exchanged a few units, but its always the same routine:

1) turn on dmx board
2) plug robocolors in
3) hear them click, wait for upto 15 minutes
4) adjust dmx levels....nothing
5) get frustrated, unplug robo colors, plug them back in
6) wait another 15 minutes
7) adjust dmx levels...again
Cool its like magic, they come on.

I can't access the RoboColors since they are flown above stage (I have to order the lift 1 week in advance).

Any advice?  Brian can you help?
ManofMayo

Brian Ship

Re: RoboColor 400 Startup
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 10:38:40 PM »

Hope it's another Brian because I don't do wiggle lights other than in asking simple power supply questions at times to get the show up and running when the moving light and local tech people are out of solutions otherwise.

What's the voltage at the fixture location both with and without load as monitored?  I'm thinking this because of pre-heating or attempting to strike an arc might 1/2 hour later have helped in the ease in later striking the arc.

After that, wrong union as it were and lots of things that could be the cause.

Ask me what's the best lamp and that I could tell you.

Harold Mayo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:20:30 PM »

No other Brian that I know of....wasn't sure if you could help, but had to ask...Anyone else?

The only wiggle is in the colors Razz
ManofMayo

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 12:35:46 PM »

I'd check the power to the fixture.  If there is too much resistance in the power cables (perhaps caused by a loose connection somewhere), the fixture may not be getting enough power to strike the lamp cold.  But after the fixture has some time to warm up, charge capacitors, etc, it can (barely) strike the lamp.

Since you had the same problem with multiple fixtures, I don't think that the problem lies within the fixture.

Jim Dewey

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 01:51:03 PM »

I'd agree that you probably have insufficient power to strike the lamps.  How many units are you using?  Try rigging it so that you can start a few units at a time instead of all of them at once.
Jim Dewey

Bob Cap

• http://parallel.tzo.com/AdvancedAudio
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 04:46:44 PM »

I have a pile of older 400's and they always work well. A couple of questions...

Are you connecting them to 220VAC or are you using the 110VAC transformers?

If you use them @ 220 vac they draw only a couple of amps so you can put several of them on one circuit.

With the transformers there is quite a current draw.

How many are you connecting to what voltage circuit?

Confusing and vague enough?

Thanks

Jordan P.C. O'Neil

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 09:22:34 PM »

Depending on what firmware they have, robocolors will often 'standby' after a certain period of time without recieving control instructions, needing to be switched off and on again to reset them. Alternatively, as mentioned, they could not have enough current to strike them all simultaneously. Try also sending them "Stand alone audio" command from your desk, as this will cause them to strike when they are ready.
That said, they do tend to be quite temperamental machines! - But I love them, so its OK! Very Happy

Harold Mayo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 10:01:15 PM »

I am running 2 400's on 1 15 amp 110v house circuit.   No other power draws on the circuit.   I would assume the transformer is 110vac.

I'm not sure of the version number of the software, but I do have a serial number.  I had been looking at the Martin site and had noticed the 'standby' issue.   I expect this may be the case.  

Next time I can get time and a lift, I plan to separate the circuits for the robocolors just in case that is an issue.

The distance from the robocolors to the outlet is no more than 75 feet.

I do love the RoboColors.   I would like to actually own a few and not need to rent them (tho the rental house is giving our church a killer deal).
ManofMayo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.