ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dimmer pack Advice Please anyone!!!!!  (Read 1628 times)

Jeremy.

Dimmer pack Advice Please anyone!!!!!
« on: May 09, 2005, 08:48:57 pm »

Hi everyone,
I recently Purchased a Chauvet DMX-24 Relay pack and eventually found out it was bad because i went to turn a light off with the dmx part and it was ran through a dmx controller and the whole relay shut off on me, I thought I did something but come to find Out we think it had a short in it so I sent it back(Sorry it wasn't American DJ) But I need suggestions on what to get instead that will dim lights, Is realiable(the big part) and Is at a good price. I was leaning toward the chauvet Dimmer Pack for about $119 I believe it is the DMX-4 but Im not positive on that. I have a Leprecon Controller and eventually will probably buy leprecon dimmer packs instead once I move up with the lights(hoping to slowly this summer). I need to know how I should approach this and costs any help is great thanks everyone!!!!!
Jeremy

Tom Delay

Re: Dimmer pack Advice Please anyone!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 02:23:44 am »

Don't waste your money on cheap packs. They'll fry or you'll drop them and they're done for. try www.productionadvantageonline.com

They have good prices on NSI and leprecon. Someone i know got NSI packs for like 150, but i don't see them here in the catalog. you might want to hunt around their site.

Tom Delay

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 08:26:11 pm »

Hey, so as a follow up: I found dimmer packls that should really work for you. They're a kind i've used before and are really nice and easy to use. They talk to each other beautifully and don't require a ton of programming. They're the Levinton d2 and d4. The D2 is a 2-channel max and d4 is a 4 channel max. the d2 is $140 and d4 is $230. Found them at www.fullcompass.com, hope it helps.

Jeremy.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 01:04:54 pm »

Does anyone else have any other suggestions on what dimmer pack I should buy?  If so would you please suggest something thanks!
Jeremy

Brian Ship

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 06:37:37 pm »

I agree with banananazi's assescessment (Hmm, using real names I guess has gone a bit astray - Craig!  Imagine spelling that over the phone) though American DJ does have some interesting 4pack models on the market.

You get what you pay for.  All shoe box dimmers will function, but to some extent, cheaper components and circuitry will play a factor.  NSI is a cheaper line that has built for itself a certain amount of respectibility. Leprecon on the otherhand is a well respected company, your intent to move up to them as the top of the line for what you want to buy comes with a reason for that.  Why do you recommend that company?

What's your intent, to buy some cheap stuff that will get you by for now while you save up for the good stuff, or the good stuff you intend to buy but wish to do without?  Such an opening statement already defeats the purpose in asking advice.  Do you wish instead for someone to say Berringer or some other product that works for their limited usage while you save for the quality gear, or do you wish to save the money and buy the quality gear with need stressed behind it?

If I said that I had some Chen Lighting (it was a market scheme) dimmers that work well for me, would it beyond the name for my self as opposed to someone out of the blue in recommending them as a cost effective alternative really play a role in what you know to be good, or what to buy?   It would seem you already know what's best, or have been given good advice on two excellent brands.  Beyond this, you move up to real dimmer packs from other companies at this point.  Under this, there is lots of shoe box and small dimmers on the market, but there is a reason they are not as well known often.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.