ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW- AX series speakers  (Read 10317 times)

Jerry Nuckolls

• http://www.acousticsinfo.com
Re: EAW- AX series speakers
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 12:15:52 PM »

chuck wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 08:07

HI Jerry,

>> This is where I think ease, catt and even more so the new clf speaker measurement file format can give consumers a more fair method of looking at data.

Actually not. These programs only display data provided to them by the manufacturers. What is lacking is a common method for such data collection and its processing. Without these, one is left to making educated guesses, at best, about comparability.

Cheers,

I agree with you on the data collection side, however my beef is more that a consumer picks up a graph and doesn't have them scaled similarly.  So, regardless of measurement techniques, he doesn't have the immediate recognition that the values may be similar or dissimilar.  Is that even really fixable -- probably not.  I would just suggest that for consumers who seek a consultant, have him provide data on the same scale as the other if such a need arises.  
Jerry Nuckolls
Acoustics Engineer
Image Media Solutions

Chuck McGregor

Re: EAW- AX series speakers (JR too)
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 08:10:39 AM »

JR said --
>> Stay the high road. Provide clear, consistent, reliable specs. Explain to all who are willing to listen.

Thanks John, but I haven't been able to figure out any other way to do it. Shocked

Jerry said --
>>my beef is more that a consumer picks up a graph and doesn't have them scaled similarly.

A problem, to be sure. However, there is an ISO Standard for graphical aspect ratios for engineering data (which also means "scaling is eliminated as a factor) that EAW has adopted for its published specifications. One might say this is an example of the "high road", but to me it was simply logical. It is a good and, to my knowledge, the only such standard, so no reason NOT use it. Also, importing such data into a graph that does not conform to this standard, distorts the data, meaning it is no longer what was specified and therefore should not be used to compare with other products AS A SPECIFICATION. This may seem trivial, but science says otherwise. This is without considering how the other product's data might also be distorted.

Cheers,
Chuck McGregor
Coda Mist Audio
One of the hardest things to deal with is stupidity. If it is ignorance, there is some hope of enlightenment. The trick is to determine which it is.

Randy Pence

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 08:09:07 AM »

Are there any threads reviewing the AX speakers in general?  I did a search, but cant seem to get the search query, but "eaw ax" is a lil broad.  I love all the promotional stuff about these.  I  mainly do danceclub stuff, where a highpower 90 degree box comes in very handy.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 08:51:17 AM »

Scavenger Ton wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 08:09

Are there any threads reviewing the AX speakers in general?  I did a search, but cant seem to get the search query, but "eaw ax" is a lil broad.  I love all the promotional stuff about these.  I  mainly do danceclub stuff, where a highpower 90 degree box comes in very handy.

The AX series speakers are for permanent installation only. They are not built to be portable speaker.

Mac

Don DeLong

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 06:13:44 PM »

We have done one install with the AX series so far.  We have specd them in several upcoming installs as well.  The boxes sound good, and they array really well due to their accurate directivity.  I can't compare them to the STX 9 because I've never heard them.  If you are considering making a purchase, I would ask both manufacturers about getting a demo.  I'm sure both would gladly direct you to existing installs where you could hear them yourself.  

I would also like to see a portable version of the AX, as they would be great for corporate shows.  They are loud, compact, and light enough to fly from lighting truss in ballrooms where fly points can be hard to come by.  Their good directivity would be a plus in this application as well, since speaker placement is not always optimal in these situations (think 12' ceilings)  Almost like a mini KF750.  All they need is handles and NL4 inputs, and maybe a case to transport in, and they could be a great portable product as well as a nice install box.  

Just my $.02,
Don
Punctuated by the limitless possibilites of hickory smoked bacon!

Advanced Audio & Lighting Systems, Inc.
Peoria, IL  
(309) 691-7105

Luis Tomás Henares

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 07:56:25 AM »

It's funny. If anything, the current EAW spec sheets provide too much high frequency detail for me. Personally i'd prefer a bit more  smoothing to be able to see the trend more clearly.

Also, neither EAW not Turbo seem to provide a Q or Di graph, which is the one that was provided in the first place. On that graph the EAW models seem to have a continuously increasing directivity, without a range of contant directivity index.

I will remind you that Q/Di is data that can either be provided by the manufacturer for EASE, or calculated by the software, and there is no way of telling which of those two origins was used. Which means those Di curves may use numbers arrived at from different methods.

Randy Pence

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005, 07:52:18 AM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 14:51

Scavenger Ton wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 08:09

Are there any threads reviewing the AX speakers in general?

The AX series speakers are for permanent installation only. They are not built to be portable speaker.

Mac

perfect!  dance clubs require perm. installs, too.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.