ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the f3 factor  (Read 2256 times)

Jeffrey White

the f3 factor
« on: April 25, 2005, 07:48:12 PM »

I have heard a lot about the f3 low point of a sub and was wondering how that can be determined?? I am setting my system up with a 45.7 HPF and a Butterworth 24db/octave filter. I am using Peavey AA 8 ohm drivers in a horn loaded "scoop" box and wanted to make sure I have set the HPF correct and not too low. Is there someway with Smaart or anything that'll give me this info??

Johan Rademakers

Re: the f3 factor
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 08:02:09 AM »

f3 is the frequency where the sensitivity is 3 dB down under nominal sensitivity(/SPLmax). So if your subs have a sensitivity of 97 dB/W/m, f3 is the frequency where the sensitivity is 94 dB/W/m. 3 dB difference is hearable but not more than that.
f3 is an indication of how low (or high) your subs/speakers can go.

Bassically there is not just one correct frequency for you HP. It mainly depends on musicstyle, type of sub/speaker, available/applied power and yes f3 (more or less). Next to that it's also personal.

A HP of 45 Hz is generally a good choice, still low enough for most types of music to sound good, high enough to get the best out of your system.
For scoops it would also depend on how many you have. The more you got, the lower f3 becomes. 15" scoops on them selves don't go low.

Mvg Johan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.