ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone seen Carver Pro ZR series amps yet?  (Read 1230 times)

[x]

Anyone seen Carver Pro ZR series amps yet?
« on: April 18, 2005, 08:58:42 PM »

Has anyone seen or used these lightweight, audiophile-sounding amps in their system? They look very interesting, and people on audiophile message boards are saying some pretty nice things about their sound quality.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: Anyone seen Carver Pro ZR series amps yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »

BHFProfessional wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 17:58

Has anyone seen or used these lightweight, audiophile-sounding amps in their system? They look very interesting, and people on audiophile message boards are saying some pretty nice things about their sound quality.

I tested the ZR1600 last year and it performed admirably alongside amps of similar rating. I didn't have the chance to test it under low AC supply conditions but it was able to deliver a fine, clean signal near rated power at 117vac.

I noticed that it tended to top out with the highest power avaible at 0.8% THD+N when tested at 1kHz. Some sort of safety limiting seems to be in place which pulls power output back down under higher THD levels. At 20Hz this wasn't seen -- it continued to put out higher power and higher distortion when presented with higher input. My 20kHz results were faulty due to heavy 30khz low-pass filtering in place which means my 20kHz power figures aren't telling the whole story.

I don't think you'll be dissatisfied, though you'll want to see how the amp performs under poor AC supply conditions before you buy a pallet-load.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.