ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Bassmaxx's sound awful! Had to return 14 cabinets/ can't get money back!  (Read 24913 times)

crystaljukebox.com

I could write on this for days but to put a long story short....

I ordered 8 Bassmaxx's "B3's" for $12,000 shipped to Georgia and my other DJ Friend Kinglee ordered 6 of the B Zero's for $10.000.  My speakers were loaded with the Radian Drivers and his were loaded with the Eighteen sounds.
   He got his a couple of days before I got mine.  He was running 3 - QSC3402's in Bridge Mode with 2 speakers per amp.
Not even 30 mins into playing the speakers all the fuses popped on the cabinets.  15 Min later, 2 speakers are BLOWED!  But before all of that the speakers sounded like GARBAGE.  The low end was NOT there, and the 60,70,80mhz was NOT there.  Me and the other DJ both had 16, 12, and then we dropped down to 8 Cerwin-Vega's sl36b's and they were killing the Bassmaxx all around the board.  My friend told David Lee that he wanted his money back, but he ended up just letting David Lee order him 8 EAW LA 400's.  The LA 400's were louder but were missing the low end.  He got those in and used them for 2 weeks then he upgraded got 4 of the EAW BH760's.  The BH760's are LOUD as hell and wayyyyyyy better than the Bassmaxx's.
     I get my speakers in, 8 - B3's.  I'm running them on 2 Crown 5000's, 2 speakers per side.  Same problem, not even 20 mins into playing the speakers, 2 of them blow!  The sound was just not there, compared to the Cerwin-Vega's, the CV's made the Bassmaxx sound like nothing.  Finally got to the point, where I wanted my money back.  David says let me come to Ga. and set your system and if "I" can't get them to do what you want them to do I will take them back and REFUND YOU, YOUR MONEY.  He then drives from TEXAS TO NORTH GEORGIA, we hook them up and 10 mins later DAVID LEE BLOWS 2 SPEAKERS!  He brings his amps in, 2 - QSC 9.0 hooks them up, and they sound NO BETTER.  EVEN BEFORE THIS I WANTED MY MONEY BACK!  By this time he made a trip for pretty much NOTHING.  He picks up my Friends 6 B Zero's with his trailer and takes them back to Texas.  I'm left with my 8 speakers that I have to ship back, Freight Liner.  
    In March, He tells me that he is waiting on Radian to refund him some money on a UPS claim so that he can refund me my money.  I call radian and he owes them $3000.  So if he wins the claim the credit will go towards Radian, NOT ME.
   He stated that he has A MONEY BACK GURANTEE!  It take me 1 week to get $4000 back.  It takes another week to get $4000 back, then another 2 weeks to get $1060 back.  Ok I give him benefit of the doubt and I let him Keep $1200 for the shipping and now he can't return my phone calls nor refund me the rest of money, which is $740.
         This company wasted my time and has STOLEN money from me.  BEFORE you buy anything from these guys I ENCOURAGE you to listen to them in REAL WORLD CONDITIONS and do not pay them until you are satisfied with them.  I paid this man $12,000 on his word what these speakers would do.  End of March he will not return phone calls.    PLEASE PROTECT YOUR SELVES, IT'S NOT WORTH IT.  GO WITH EAW, EV, YORKVILLE, LAB12, ANYTHING BUT BASSMAXX!
     I ended up buying 8 of the Yorkville LS1208's and these are the BEST speakers that I have ever had.  The low end is just HUMONGOUS!  I running 4 Qsc 3402's Bridged Mono on them and they take EVERYTHING that I can give them and it's still not enough.
   Keep in mind this is the short version.  Anyone is welcomed to call me or email me regarding these speakers.  I have witness's that were there and another DJ.

Please email me with any questions!
www.crystaljukebox.com
Bassmaxx owes me MONEY!
PROTECT YOUR SELF from these guys!

David Lee

• http://www.bassmaxx.com
Excuse me? Would you like to check the facts?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 05:21:01 PM »

You are entitled to your opinion on how the BASSMAXX speakers sounded, but please keep the facts in your posts straight.

Item 1) Kinglee never 'Blowed' any speakers. I received all 6 cabinets and all 6 original drivers back in working order. The only thing that blew on his speakers were fuses. Because he thought two were blown, we even supplied him with two more drivers, but it turned out that it was in fact the fuses again.  

Item 2) The fuses popped because the amps were clipping.  They prevented the speakers from being damaged.  

Item 3) In the B-Threes, two of the Radian drivers were blown when I arrived in Georgia and there were some indications that some others were damaged. (ie: rattling noises)  Shortly after I arrived two more drivers did fail.  A total of 5 drivers failed to open circuit. All of these drivers were shipped to Radian for evaluation of the cause of the failure.  I am currently waiting for the final word from Radian.  We have not used any Radian subwoofer drivers since this incident.

Item 4)  UPS was never involved in this process.  All items were shipped pallet freight.  Radian informed me that some damage ocurred in transit.  They have filed a claim.  This has no bearing on the status of the pending refund.  

Item 5) The refund is being held pending the outcome of Radian's evaluation as to the cause of the driver failures.  (This information has been given to Crystaljukebox and it has not changed since our last communication in March.)  We have to wait as long as we have to wait.  Sorry for the delays but the time frame is not in my control.

Item 6) I have not received any e-mail or voice mail messages, so I have had no messages to return calls on.  Nothing has changed since our last communication.  When new information comes to light from Radian, you will be contacted.    

Item 7) We owe Radian absolutely nothing.  We are waiting for Radian to issue a credit.  If they do, that credit will be forwarded to Crystaljukebox.  

Item 8 ) The $740.00 in question is only a fraction of the cost of the drivers.  It works out to $148.00 per driver for reconing costs.  ALL OTHER MONEY HAS BEEN REFUNDED.  Freight cost is not refundable on returned items.

Item 9)  As for my word on what these speakers do, I clearly explained to both Crystaljukebox and Kinglee that the BASSMAXX were nothing like the SL36s and that they would not give the same type of sound.  They would be cleaner and deeper, but would not have the upper bass hit that the SL36s have.  I also explained the phenomenon of perceived loudness and that distortion adds tremendously to perceived volume.  It is practically impossible to get the BASSMAXX to produce distortion.  For this reason, I explained, the BASSMAXX may sound less loud to the ear even if the measured levels are the same. They chose to purhase them anyway.  Simply because they did not like them, we agreed to take them back and they received refunds for them.  What more can we do?

Item 10) Customer service is why we drove all the way from Texas to North Georgia. I had to see for myself the circumstances surrounding these complaints and failures.  While I am not happy that there is someone out there who doesn't like the BASSMAXX sound, the experience will lead to new products better suited to the needs of the mobile DJ.  

We apologize for wasting your time.  

David Lee
BASSMAXX
David Lee
BASSMAXX

[x]

I had figured that if there really were such an issue, it would have happened to other people using Bassmaxxes as well. The first thing I was going to suggest was in fact amplifier clipping.

Did anyone try boosing 60 Hz by 6-10dB?
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt

Be careful when publicising issues about a product youve used...

Rough treatment in transit? Shocked

Quote:

It is practically impossible to get the BASSMAXX to produce distortion

Depends what you mean by distortion! I guess ,audible distortion.

I would assume that the Cv vs bassmaxx would give entirely different sounds.

Did anyone try boosing 60 Hz by 6-10dB?
Howcome?That would eat up alot of headroom!

[x]

I meant it jokingly, the way those CV horn subs have rising sensitivity into the 60-80Hz range.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt

BHFProfessional wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 02:19

I meant it jokingly, the way those CV horn subs have rising sensitivity into the 60-80Hz range.

hah,yeah but if people expect the sound[wbin sort of output]then no worries! Razz

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat

Maybe someone should sit this crystal DJ down with a Cv Sub and Any superior Horn Sub like Bassmaxx, lab, Danley, ServoDrive/SPL and a spectrum analyser and give him a visual representation of the distortion he likes to hear so much and compare it to something relatively uncolored.

Crystal powerful clean low bass is very subtle compared to smacky Hit you in the Chest crunchy (Harmonic Distortion Rich), mid bass.  It makes your ears throb, and the floors/ground Ungulate.

Maybe you should try listening to a little music through your system without making the cliplights on your amp come on (at all).

When the little red lights come on the amp it means your adding Higher frequencies on top of your Bass usually odd harmonics. So if you have a 50Hz Bass Tone you'just added 150Hz and 250Hz and 350Hz and 450Hz and 550Hz etc.

You may personally like the sound of the music you play to be distorted and spectraly unbalanced through your system, but you should probably find out what the music you play sounds like on a nice clean Balanced system.  

Some people actually mix their music in the studio that way.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

I didn't know you were trying to broadcast FM radio frequencies from your Sub Woofers no wonder your so upset with your performance.  Laughing  
Quote:

and the 60,70,80mhz was NOT there

Perhaps you should look into purchasing a 1/2Wave Di Pole, Or a 1/4wave Marconi antenna.  J-pole antennas are very cheap and easy to build from common plumbing supplies.

These should solve your propagation problems.   Very Happy

David Little

• http://www.dblittle.com

I for one must stand up and applaud David Lee's commitment to customer service. Regardless of the customer's perception of the product performance you can not fault the extreme Bassmaxx went to in attempting to please the customer in this case.
David Little

http://www.dblittle.com
http://www.dblittle.com/catalog/images/dblit310x90b.gif

Antone Atmarama Bajor

Amen to that above and beyond.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.