ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Servo Drive SD5 sighting  (Read 2971 times)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Servo Drive SD5 sighting
« on: April 09, 2005, 03:50:52 pm »

I saw a quartet of Servodrive SD5's at a club called Studio Z in SF I was wondering If anyone knows anything about these subs.  I haven't heard about them.

Mark Seaton

Re: Servo Drive SD5 sighting
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 05:16:30 pm »

Those would be SDL-5s.  It was the predicessor to the BassTech7, maybe 3dB less sensitivity and a different drive coupling which was a little less abuse resilient than the later products.
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Ivan Beaver

Re: Servo Drive SD5 sighting-I had them-unfortunatly
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 07:13:32 pm »

I bought my SDL-5's a little while after they came out.  I used to love to blow out lighters at 4 feet away.  HOWEVER- of all the bad money I have spent in the audio business this "investment" would top the list of what I would never do again!!  I spent tons of money trying to keep them operating.  I had multiple problems (mainly with the timing belts getting stripped out.  I had a couple of motors go bad (these were expensive)-because of this.  Now I was really pushing them-doing mostly Metal and Punk (in the late 80's)-I must admit.  They were a lot of money for me to come up with.

I later found out from Tom Danley that during the time I owned mine they were having problems with the supplier of these belts not making them up to spec.  The basstech 7's don't use a timing belt-so those problmes are gone in the later models.

I also went through quite a few amps before finding the one that had the best low end. Carver PM1.5-AB1100-Crest 8001 and finally the best sounding one on the servo's ws the Crown MA2400.  There was little difference on my front loaded 2x18's with these amps, but on the servo's the Crown ruled.

They also had a problem at really low volumes you hear the "chatter" from the stepping motors.  At loud levels the output overcame it.

Ivan Beaver
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

John Halliburton

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 08:02:55 am »

They also had a problem at really low volumes you hear the "chatter" from the stepping motors. At loud levels the output overcame it.

A point of clarification here-the motor is not a stepper motor, but a low inertia DC motor using four brushes(two parallel pairs)on the commutator.  The "chatter" heard at low power(below half a watt) is the mechanics of the system overcoming "stiction" combined with inevitable brush noise when responding to an AC signal.

Best regards,

John

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 10:46:59 am »

I was refering to it as a stepper, because that is what I read about them at the time.

When the cabinets were working, they were fantastic and I loved them.  The problem is it was a love/hate relationship going on with a lot more hate than love.  Clients were always asking for me to bring out the "motor subs".  I started only taking them out to the higher paying gigs in which I could afford to fix them if needed.  The problem is they would usually die before the headliner came on! I think I spent something like twice what I paid for them to keep them running.  I even put PIP-CLP cards in my 2400's with an early trip point to keep the amps out of clipping.

They were an eye opening experience, because when they were used with front loaded 2x18" the low end was "sloppy" and not tight.  When I realized that there was something like a 11ms delay inside the cabinet, I started using a digital delay (still in digital infancy) to delay the rest of the system and the sound tightned up.  It was one of those moments in which I can directly point to where a light bulb came on.

Ivan Beaver
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 06:33:09 pm »

Oh Yah I just go myself a Rane Digital Delay for my BT7's last year so I could tighten things up.  Its cool to know a little more about those beasties.  Thanks.

Sum  

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 06:36:17 pm »

ServoJohn !!! You have any of the Plans for BT7 Flair Extenders!?!?
I've been looking for them for a while now!!!!

Sum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.