ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumping the pond...  (Read 1565 times)

Nick S.

Jumping the pond...
« on: April 09, 2005, 01:19:22 PM »

Hi - I'm moving to the Boston area from the UK for a few years, and was wondering if anyone could offer some tips on what to expect over there. I'm moving to study, not to work, but I anticipate continuing my freelance/volunteer lighting and sound work for stage.

Very broadly, I'm wondering whether anyone knows of any key differences in the way shows are run, what consoles people tend to use (over here in the South West of England we obviously use a lot of Zero88 gear), what differences there are in the hire industry etc. etc.

Sorry if it's all a bit vague - I'm just wondering what differences (aside from the whole reduced voltage, different plugs, etc. electrical issues) I'll encounter working in a theatre environment.

Rob Timmerman

Re: Jumping the pond...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 01:16:31 PM »

Out of curiosity, where in Boston will you be studying?  

While I'm not familiar with what practices are in the UK, so I can't comment on differences, my experience with Boston theater companies has been quite positive.

If you're looking for theaters to work at, try checking out www.stagesource.org  There are many small/medium theater groups, and about a dozen Actors Equity companies in the Boston area, not counting the touring shows.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.