ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Old HUB Electric CO. High School Lighting System needs help.  (Read 13134 times)

The other Brian Miller

• http://members.aol.com/bmiller025/BrianDesign.htm
Re: Old HUB Electric CO. High School Lighting System needs help.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 08:33:23 AM »

What does the School board need to hear in order to be swayed to do something about it?

Talk in terms of safety - that the system is very old, and without the work you propose, there is a risk that someone using it could be electricuted. Tell them that only qualified people can evaluate the equipment. Any electrician can evaluate the condition of the wiring outside of the equipment, and that likely gets done at regular intervals. It is the fact that the equipment itself is in need of repair or replacement that brings you to talk to them.

Talk in terms of basic functionality - that the system as set up at present doesn't do a good job of enabling the auditorium to be used for its intended purpose. (This is not the time to tell them what you would like to replace it with!) Tell them that they need to bring in a professional service to determine what are the capabilities of the system, if it was to be restored to full functionality.

If they went ahead with the sound system improvements previously, then they are likely going to be amenable to working on the lighting system at some point. For all you know, they might still be shaking their heads at how expensive it was to fix the sound system, and they will need to hold off on the lighting system for a while, before being willing to go through the process again.

I am bad at subtly telling folks like that that I don't have a lot of respect for them without even uttering such words. You need to be very careful. Be respectful, give them simple explanations that they can fully understand, and allow them to go about it in their usual manner. They are sitting there because they are in charge of deciding how best to spend the limited financial resources available. That is why the safety issue perks up their ears.

If you can find ways to demonstrate that fixing up the auditorium may result in it being used by outside groups, and eventually generate funding for the school district to use for other purposes, that might be something that they can respond to. That might take a while though.

The school auditorium where I used to work is the single most rented out facility in the entire district. The rental fees paid my appallingly meagre salary, enabled us to keep the place in pretty good shape, and buy lots of nice lighting and sound equipment over time.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 09:42:44 PM »

Brian M. - "You mentioned that there were six 15000 watt dimmers. "

I went and checked Friday, there are not six 15,000 watt dimmers, there are six 12,000 watts + 24 3,000 watt dimmers.  Only 3000 less per each.  So, there is a hell of a lot of power.

Jordan

PS: A local Pawn/DJ/Entertainment tiny store blabla came and installed a truss a couple weeks ago.  AHHHH!  I did so much work, and someone came and f&#@ed it up.  Now, it appears that someone gained access to the light board up in the booth, and the dimmers are all switched on, but not ON.  The board has control when it comes to the system being on.  So, now what?

How do I complain enough to get access back?

Jordan again

Tom Delay

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 05:10:08 PM »

Whenever a group of people i strongly dislike (for good reason) is gunna be using equipment that i use, i do something to fuck with them (usually they're incompetent). pull basic plugs on sound boards, lock out the light board, you know, fun stuff. Maybe pull i few fuses, that'll take em a bit. Heck, pull grounds off equipment, be creative.

Michael E.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 10:45:33 PM »

banananazi wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 17:10

Whenever a group of people i strongly dislike (for good reason) is gunna be using equipment that i use, i do something to fuck with them (usually they're incompetent). pull basic plugs on sound boards, lock out the light board, you know, fun stuff. Maybe pull i few fuses, that'll take em a bit. Heck, pull grounds off equipment, be creative.

You are kidding right?  Rolling Eyes
I'd rather be sailing

Tom Delay

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 10:49:42 PM »

nahhh

Brian Ship

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 10:06:50 PM »

banananazi wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 21:49

nahhh

Hope the reply given is still also joking in meaning you don't do stuff like that.  Otherwise since as reaply about your advice it can be taken either way if that's really what you do or recommend, it would not reflect well on you.  If it is continuing the joke but not something you recommend, it's still not funny.

A few years ago, I had a show come back from something like the NBA All Star's game.  The Video guys pissed off the local crew from what I remember of it.  On the out, the local crew decided to save time in instead of un-plugging, just cutting cables than boxing them up.  Don't know where the grievences with the local ended up in screwing all production companies involved with the show including some very expensive video cables, but that lighting cable I had to repair was not cheap to do so either.  Much less that same gear was expected out the door again the next day.  Gee, thanks "Pro's" in us not pissing them off, much less me taking the brunt of their revenge even if I did not even work the show.

Jokes and tricks can be fun a times but jokes are less joke when not done to a specific person and a in general thing to people you don't specifically know are going to be on the recieving end.  Have the new guy crawl into the back of a scenery shipping crate to fix something and box him up while you go to lunch.  Get the new guy to test out a safety harness, than hook a 64FPM hoist to his harness and send him flying.  Now that's fun and games.  On the job site, you get someone able to figure out what you did and show it was you who did it and it only reflects badly on you and good on them.  That's stupid.  Some great revenge idea ha? This especially if they mention it to your own boss.

Once sent out a care package of parts to a production.  At that point, it was a few additions a day to the same job and even some after shipping hours.  Last package of the day, and while the candy machine still sold popcorn, we (many people helped though I was the ring leader,) packaged up the goods in popcorn.  Popcorn was the packaging material of the 70's but never got anywhere - wonder why.  The crew chief opened his box and got a whiff of bags upon bags of burnt popcorn inside the sealed box.  Much less everyone on the crew got the joke.  Unfortunately he was at the time opening his care package from the shop infront of a client.

In jokes, even to a specific person, they can backfire.  What did the client think when the crew chief opened his box from the shop in sending the stuff he needed, and it was packed in burnt popcorn I know because I got chewed out for it.

Still it was to a crew chief that was at the time having fun with us in being a pain in the rear, and it was the response direct to him one will have thought simple enough.

"Whenever a group of people i strongly dislike (for good reason) is gunna be using equipment that i use, i do something to fuck with them (usually they're incompetent). pull basic plugs on sound boards, lock out the light board, you know, fun stuff. Maybe pull i few fuses, that'll take em a bit. Heck, pull grounds off equipment, be creative."

These ideas just show a lack of class.  That's my opinion at least.

While I will once in a while dump my trash can into a box and put it on the shipping table with a address to go P-1 overnight to some made up location, I also know that it's a direct joke on the shipping lady and I will get my normal "Pinche Brian" from her because she does open the boxes before shipping.  That's a joke.  Other things are joke when specific to a friend of your's.  She does stuff like lock up the casters on my work table chair so they won't move when I glide across the floor to my road box or keep moving the trash can at my desk further and further away, I have other responses.  Had this idea about hooking up a vacuum in reverse to the packing foam funnel above the shipping girl's desk.  Than plugging the vacuum into the back of her computer so when she turned on the computer, the vacuum in reverse also turned on in making a shower of packing peanuts over her desk.  Now that's funny!  Get the idea?

Tom Delay

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 08:51:19 AM »

Of course it was a joke. But thanks for the stories. Didn't mean to elicit such a response.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 21 queries.