ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Abdul questions Live Sound International  (Read 47461 times)

Geri O'Neil

Re: Abdul questions Live Sound International
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 09:08:35 pm »

pav01 wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 19:41

Just how seriously can you take an argument between Mr Beaver and Mr Camel ( toe ) ??

Assuming you're serious,
(1) It's not an argument.

(2) Read the article. You'll understand (or you should..)

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Scott Raymond

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 10:00:35 pm »

Geri O wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 20:08

(2) Read the article. You'll understand (or you should..)

Geri O

Thank goodness for Teri Hogan's well done article!!!  I was almost expecting a spiel about special surround sound cable or something similar out of that other ...... well I don't quite know what to call it.  Pepe La Pew Publishing?

Al Limberg

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 12:30:01 am »

Well, we'll see if its an April Fool's joke gone astray or something entirely different.  My son is a senior at Columbia and has had several courses with 'Feedback Jack' over the last few years and has one this term.  He tells me he'll check it out after class this week.
I'll keep you posted.

?;o)
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Sebastiaan Meijer

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 06:07:54 pm »

Jon Martin wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 18:05

I'd bet 99 out of 100 monitor mixers would say that everything coming off the back of the mains sounds like ass.  Laughing

The one not saying this is smart enough to avoid helpful stagehands who on their own initiative would turn around all the tops to give the monitor guy a better sound Smile

S.
Psycho-acoustic care-taker, but you may call me monitor dude.

EQ is like fast-food: quick, predictable and available everywhere, but it never tastes good if you need it.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 12:50:05 am »

Problem #0 with this article is that he says on page 38, "Yet if we play with delay on the house and/or the drumfill ... "

So he advocates delay on the drumfill?  Yeah, funny.  The drummer will hear his kick and a handfull of milliseconds later, he'll hear it in the fill.  And he'll be chasing the monitor all night.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Jack Arnott

• http://assistanceaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 01:58:46 pm »

The part that had me going was the lots of 2.5K in the monitors.
(Monitors 101)
I think we have all been had. April Fools.

Regards, Jack
The Buffalo's already dead,
What was going through your head?
Why did you choose the color Re-ed?
Joss Whedon

www.assistanceaudio.com

Mike Smith

• http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com/
Jack Alexander has a very large brain
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 05:45:18 pm »

O Son of the Desert,

I have not read the article, so I can't comment on the actual content of the text. I did know Jack Alexander back when he was the product manager for Martin Audio, and he knows things about live audio. A lot of things. I'm pretty sure he mixed at Jesus's Bar Mitzvah, he's been around for a while.

We can all make mistakes, it's just worse when you do it in print. Did he screw up? I respect Jack a lot, so I'm going to go with the April Fool theory, or bad editing.

Respectfully,

Mike Smith, Uninformative and Not Very Entertaining
Mike Smith

Event Technical Systems

http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com

Abdul-EQ

Re: Jack Alexander has a very large brain
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 06:27:35 pm »

Mike,

Abdul has a very large hat and also suggests reading the article.

Until then,
Abdul EQ
Abdul-EQ
Informative and entertaining

Abdul-EQ

Re: Abdul has a large hat
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 06:47:43 pm »

http://http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020329/pun2.jpg

Abdul-EQ
Informative and entertaining, like when a Japanese tourist confuses me with Lawrence of Alabia
Abdul-EQ
Informative and entertaining

Joe Nino-Hernes

• http://www.srctape.com
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 03:40:31 pm »

Abdul-EQ wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 19:33

During his attempt to surround the audience with a disappearing sound system, the author makes the mistake again.  An audience member that is closer to the stage sound needs a different signal delay time to achieve simultaneous arrival than an audience member who is closer to the speaker system. A person sitting at the acoustic center between the two requires no delay. If these delay time compromises exceed the 20 – 35 mSec Haas effect, distinct arrival times will occur. Venue size is clearly critical to the professor’s approach.

Hello,

My name is Joe Nino-Hernes, and I was one of the system engineers on the show that Mr. Alexander wrote about, and that you are discussing here. I am quite aware that this technique at first glance sounds rather strange, but I assure you, I have never heard results like this before. If you can do better, I urge you to try, and then post your results here.

By placing microphones behind the loudspeakers and folding them back into the system, we were able to successfully make the room disappear. Think of it like this:

The back of the loudspeaker is a mirror, and the wall is a mirror. If you have ever placed two mirrors face to face like this you see that the image appears to continue forever, decreasing in size until it is no longer visible. This is what happens when a microphone is placed behind the loudspeaker. The loudspeaker blends in with the room, and the room blends with the loudspeaker making it seemingly disappear. I do agree with you, room acoustics do play a roll in how well this works, but this method has been thoroughly tested, and I am quite positive that it will work anywhere.

You mention delay, and you are correct, it is a compromise. We tweaked the system to sound the best for the most people. All delay time was set by ear. We were spread out in the house, sitting in different positions, with one of us at the board and the XTA controller. The sound source was simply someone tapping on a microphone. Delay was adjusted so that in the house, we heard one arrival time.
Joe Nino-Hernes
Recording Engineer
Simplistic Recording Concepts
www.srctape.com
Member AES

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 03:40:31 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.