Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Danley products ....

<< < (10/11) > >>

Tim Talbot:
Being only 20mins down the road from EM myself and having spoke with Ed & Mike a few times & with owners of the EM quakes i can safely say that the Quake sub is made of 4 cabinets and that is the product / concept they try and sell.

The Quake sub become a beast when used in the right way... maybe try testing them again one day.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Tim Talbot on March 17, 2011, 04:43:23 AM ---Being only 20mins down the road from EM myself and having spoke with Ed & Mike a few times & with owners of the EM quakes i can safely say that the Quake sub is made of 4 cabinets and that is the product / concept they try and sell.

The Quake sub become a beast when used in the right way... maybe try testing them again one day.

--- End quote ---
As is typical of horn subs-when you increase the mouth area-you get better loading-so the extension goes down lower and sensitivity goes up and the response smooths out.

Do you have any measurements of 1-2-4 subs that show how effective the loading is?  That is always better than "well 4 is trhe way to go" heresay.

And even with front loaded subs-4 would be more impressive than 2.

At this particular event the limit was 2 subs per model number-and that pretty much filled up the place.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Tim Talbot on March 17, 2011, 04:43:23 AM ---Being only 20mins down the road from EM myself and having spoke with Ed & Mike a few times & with owners of the EM quakes i can safely say that the Quake sub is made of 4 cabinets and that is the product / concept they try and sell.

--- End quote ---

So you feel it necessary to engage in "lap measurement".

Pffft.

I have no interest in purchasing the EM products nor auditioning them again as we picked a full system solution to fill out our inventory.

Perhaps the mothership at EM should discuss the way their products are represented with the USA importer/distributor.

Mac Kerr:

--- End quote ---

Nest time you speak to them maybe you should suggest they change their product description literature to say they are designed to be used in blocks of 4 instead of saying they can be used singly.

Any horn sub will benefit by being used in multiples for the reasons Ivan stated. The only one I know of that states in the product literature that it is meant to be used in blocks of 4 is the EAW KF940.

Mac

Simon Ryder:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on March 15, 2011, 07:45:16 AM ---On the second day (the listening day) the "rules" changed when the Quake had its turn for listening.

Up until then the overall volume was kinda limited-I don't remember where or how-it has been awhile.  But the Quake guys said " Let er rip" and give it all you got-we don't care if it tears up.  And that is exactly what was done.  The limit was found.

But to the casual observer who was not there-all they read was "the Quake blew up".  But it was also producing more output-because the input was also higher than the subs that went before-DUH!  That is what happens when yo keep going.

Not exactly the same story.

That is why it is so very important to get the WHOLE story-before decissions are made-especially opinions on the internet based on hearesay.  And why attending such events is a good thing.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for putting the record straight Ivan. I was quite surprised at the Quakes failing that "early on" but that explains it. Every time I have heard them, they put a smile on my face.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version