ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your SPL level?  (Read 6576 times)

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
What's your SPL level?
« on: August 03, 2004, 09:20:53 AM »

Curious as to what your SPL levels are for P&W.

Our stage level is at around 87db (ugh) and FOH level is around 92 db.

We will be working to lower stage level by caging the drum kit and some sort of IEM or personal monitor setup.

bates15

Re: What's your SPL level?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 05:44:36 PM »

I wish..... I think with the band blasting away we go way over 100dB. I will have to check it out one day.

O well, I got my hands on the main Eq and reduced the level with about 6 or 7 dB and that made a big difference. We are still working on the band to get their levels down a bit!

Phillip Graham

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 07:01:10 PM »

bates15 wrote on Tue, 03 August 2004 17:44

I wish..... I think with the band blasting away we go way over 100dB. I will have to check it out one day.

O well, I got my hands on the main Eq and reduced the level with about 6 or 7 dB and that made a big difference. We are still working on the band to get their levels down a bit!

I'm not exactly sure what you are describing here, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

I've mixed in churches at levels between 80dBA and 100dBA.  Anecdotally 95dBA seems about the loudest a balanced mix can be run and not get complaints from a multi-aged audience.  Anything above 90dBA, and I'll make sure the plugs are near the console in case I sense ear fatigue coming.

Phill Graham

Doctoral Candidate

Department of Materials Science and Engineering

The Georgia Institute of Technology

Tim Padrick

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:34:37 PM »

I'm not HOW, I'm mostly clubs.  I like to keep it around 90dBA max if I can, but that does not happen often.  Sometimes outdoors I can.

John C. Austin

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 11:33:15 PM »

Fast Worship: 88-90DB avg.
Slow Worship: 83-87DB avg.
Choir Specials 85-88DB avg.(Congregation not singing)

All DBs are A weighted with Slow Response.

Rich Bruchal

• http://www.bruchal.com/rich
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 11:20:21 AM »

For the louder stuff, we average around 90 dBA, no louder than 95.     If we get any louder than that, I'll hear about it.  Confused

The softer stuff is probably in the 80's somewhere.

Tom Young

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 09:25:01 PM »

Discussing SPL numbers without reference to weighting is meaningless.  Measuring with an uncalibrated SPL meter is meaningless.

Therefore it is important when we discuss these things to state whether you have measured Flat or with A or C weighting curves.  Whether you own a Radio Shack SLM or a $5000+ B&K (or anything in between) you need to check its accuracy every now and then.  The Radio Shack is borderline accurate to begin with and it may have been miscalibrated or suffering from abuse.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Stuie

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 08:59:20 PM »

Hi All

We run abit hot somewhere 95dbA weighted (trying to get around 90db) on a basic dB counter. We do have issues with stage size and amount of team we have up there.

One issue we havent discussed is the amount of dB Variantion over the congregation. If you have 95 dB/A and you have totally different tone and volume.

So far we have a about 50ft throw and we are using jbl eon 15 so there is a massive difference in dB variation. Looking at a new building soon so we just have to put up with it for now.

Also where does the volume come from is from the drums only or just one particular instrument. Dont forget if you kill all the sound on stage musicians cant here themselves and produce great sound.

Cheers
Stuie

Adam Kane

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 10:54:59 PM »

Our sanctuary seats about 1800 with a balcony.  The traditional service (piano and organ) runs about 83-85db.  The contemp services run around 90 (max 95).  The stage volume is rather low.  The drums are completely enclosed (drummer wears in-ear) and guitar/bass amps are only just loud enough for the musicians to hear themselvs.  Guitars, winds, and keys are about 15' from the drums.  Singers are across the stage from the band so they don't have to have their wedges cranking to hear what they need to hear.  If you've got the room to do it, SPACE SPACE SPACE!!!  That way, everyone's not having a volume war.

Hope this helps.  (all db ratings are w/ C-weighting)
Adam "Drumrkane"

chasetower

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 09:26:49 PM »

We run at about 110dbC-weighted. I've got a Klark DN6000, with an Earthworks RTA Mic, so i'm pretty sure that its accurate. We have contemporary worship. Our Sanctuary holds about 1200, we get about 900-1000 per service so its pretty full.

Anyways
Thats my thoughts

Chase

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 09:26:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.