ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting Newbie Needs Advice  (Read 1583 times)

AMonline

Lighting Newbie Needs Advice
« on: March 20, 2005, 12:52:23 AM »

I am a total newbie to lighting so please have patience with me.

I am currently in a new 5 piece variety band. I use a Roland TD-20 drum module live and would like to build a light system based around midi via this module or our keyboard sequencer. (we'll talk about stand alone modules as well if advised)

Starting from scratch, I am interested in products like the Chauvet Trackscans (barrel) and Mini Legend Washes. I’m also looking at the inexpensive route such as Insignia Scanners, Omega 250C’s and Stage Washes. (I am open to other brands as well) As far as budget goes, I’m looking for the best bang for the buck. However, I don’t mind spending 3-4 grand if it’s very worth it in result. I feel that all we need at this time is a couple of stage washes in place of pars and I'd like two intelli-lights (barrel scans) and up to four (possibly yoke) color changers.

I would like to be able to make light shows for our sets/songs at home on computer or a typical rack mount DMX controller and save/run them via midi from my module or keyboard sequence in the live environment. I understand there are midi-capable controllers but I need to know if I can midi out from my sequencer to the controller for running the show? If so, does this all take place on one channel or multiple channels to the controller for controlling multiple lights?

I am totally new to this and would like guidance in the right direction for everything I need from opinions on lights, controllers, etc. (pretty much - I need to know about everything but truss) (also, do I need dimmers? or is that pars only?)

I have also been looking at the LanBox LCM, DMX-50, Tiger, ShowExpress stuff and the Elation Show Designer on the web. I have no clue what I would need or what choices are the best to streamline for me as a drummer to run the entire show via sequence from a module/sequencer. As I said before, I would like to know about stand alone units like the LanBox but I have no idea if they can be synced to a show/song.

I am highly open to opinions, but have been leaning toward: 2 stage washes (for stage fill in place of pars), 2-4 scanners and 4 yoke washes/color changers/luminaries.

Thanks for your help!

- Alan

AMonline

Re: Lighting Newbie Needs Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 11:57:04 AM »

Someone replied via PM, but I thought I would put my further questions here...

So, I guess my question is since I want to create a show (a show for each song in a 10-12 song set) at home with software, what is the best way to run that show from my band's backing sequencer like the Roland Fantom XR? ( http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=8&sub catid=37&prodid=Fantom%2DXR)

For example, I want to run backing sequences from the Fantom XR... it has 16 channels, of which I am only using 4-6 for backing tracks... I also want to trigger the light show on another channel(s) that keeps it in sync with the backing tracks. If I can do this, what's the best unit on the market to receive the midi out controlling information for 2 stage washes, 2 barrel trackscans and up to 4 regular scanners or color changers? I'm not talking about a unit that stores this info... I'm talking about a unit that receives the midi light show and tells the lights what to do right then.

Lastly, would the 2 stage washes, 2 barrel trackscans and 4 regular scanners or color changers work on seperate midi channels, seperate channels but like-items or all on one midi channel together?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.