ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Protottype X-tro Top  (Read 50255 times)

Timmahh

• http://www.chromepony.us
Re: Protottype X-tro Top
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 03:45:58 PM »

Very Happy
gotta love that, Walt!@!  Very nice work on the X-tro, impressive looking (design wise and overall appearance also ), and so far sounds like it is specing out close to your predictions.  Are you planning for this to be a DYI project,  so anyone may build a certain number of cabs, or are you going to run it into production. was wondering, cause after we finish our 2nd set of 4 Labs, we re going to be building tops to go with them, and your cab here looks like it could perform well.... Right now we are using 1 Viking x215 cab/LAB, which in my opinion is stacking up quite well 1 to 1.  but if there was a closer match available, and all we had to do is slap the box together, then I would think we would probably like to build a pair of your cabs for trial, then maybe replace the Vikings with them afterwards.  just a few thoughts i had poking around in my head since i seen your cab.
Waiting to hear the results of your weekend.
Timmahh
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!

Walt de Jong

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 04:54:55 PM »

Hello Timmahh,

Check out the construction and testing of the second generation prototypes:

http://www.iven.nl/bouwproces/bouwprocesxtroII.htm

I want to make some small ajustments to the design for the ease of construction so I have to update the AutoCAD drawings. After that the design will become public so everyone is free to build it.

The experience of sound has a very personal taste. Perhaps even the country where you live in makes a difference! For example I like the sound of the Funktion One cabs more than EAW. Just personal taste, both brands offer very good speakers that is one thing for sure.

If you build a prototype for testing make sure you use the right drivers. For example the B&C DE-500 we used in the last test session sounds so much better than the B&C DE-200 we used previously. Although this is only the HF section it determines the total sound of the whole cabinet. As a reminder the drivers are:

low: 2x 18Sound 15ND930
mid: B&C 8PE21
high: B&C DE-500 on Beyma TD-245 horn

Best regards,

Walt

[x]

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »

[x]
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Walt de Jong

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 09:24:22 PM »

Hello BHF,

Even at the upper crossoverpoint of the 15" section (about 300Hz) the wavelengths involded are about 1 metre long. They don't see the 1" horn as a real problem.

The crosssectional area of the 1" driver magnet and the crosssectional area of the 1" horn are very small. It is only the very last part of the HF combination which has a larger crosssectional area. Compare this with a grille to protect the speakers. Some grilles are about 50% closed! This froms some resistance for sure but it is not as dramatic as one would think. I think this solution is better then placement of the HF in front of the 8" cone, because the wavelenghts become smaller as the frequency rises.

With the testing we only had 4 punishers so we had to stack them this way to get the X-tro on a proper height. When using 3 a side will will stack them with the 70x81.5cm sides onto each other. The upcoming party is in a verly large church with a 80 feet high ceiling. I don't think six Punishers are overkill. For about 600 people this would be a real challenge for the X-tro's. With only one a side it will surely have to work up to its limits...

Best regards,

Walt

raj

• http://-
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 12:14:44 AM »

Dear Walt ,
Your writeup regarding pictures falling from the wall in a hall reminds me

of an event we did a few years back when all the light fittings fell off from

the false roof during the dance party ,
I would like to know how powerful two tops and four punishers would be

in the open , will this much gear cover 100ft ??
Regarding crossover frequencies, you are crossovering at 90hz , 300hz

&600hz is this right .
RL

Walt de Jong

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 01:36:30 AM »

Hello Rajeev,

Crossover should be around 90Hz, 300Hz and 2500Hz. where did you see 600Hz? That is most certain wrong!

We have only run tests with one X-tro cabinet. The first party we will do with the X-tro is tomorrow evening. I have only heard the Punishers indoors with 1, 2 of 4 cabinets. I had best results with 4 in one stack.

Best regards,

Walt

[x]

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2005, 07:14:19 AM »

[x]
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

raj

• http://-
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2005, 11:19:18 PM »

Walt ,
I am sure your party today will be a great sucess ,
I do not know how that 600hz came in my mind ,
we do outdoor parties 8 out of 10 times
RL

Walt de Jong

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 06:10:46 AM »

Hello guys,

Saturday we had the first gig using the X-tro cabinets. Location was a monumental church in the Netherlands. It was a 70/80's Dance Classic Party. There were about 650 tickets sold. Although the number of people on the dancefloor was lower.

We had the following FOH system:

Sub: 6x Punisher with QSC PL and Labgruppen amps

Top: 2x X-tro with Crest CA12/CA6/CA6 amps

The whole evening the amps on the sub ran at about -20dB. The music didn't need to be that loud so the system had not had to do much. Still at some moment a girl form a bar came to me and told that the sub caused some small roof parts to come down in her bar.

At the soundcheck the system sounded good although the church had a horrible acoustic. We didn't had the chance to really turn it up due to a lack of time. Next week the same guys will take the X-tro's out to a 400 people Hardstyle Dance party, I think that will be more of a challenge. This party the system was just overkill. The police showed up one moment and from then we really had to turn things down.. Otherwise they would end the party Sad

Photo's will be available within a few days.

Best regards,

Walt

[x]

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 07:57:40 AM »

[x]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 16 queries.