ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protottype X-tro Top  (Read 50259 times)

raj

• http://-
Re: Protottype X-tro Top
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2005, 01:18:48 PM »

A picture of my TWO Xtros is attached
RL

Tim Duffin

« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2005, 01:49:20 AM »

you mean the Bl, not the B-- a computation of total motor strength in newton meters.

that particular 8 looks like a chinese speaker, although the magnet is wide, it does not have an extended backplate or room for a particularly long excursion.  Betcha it doesnt have venting through the basket either.  Will probably sound good--but not as good as a properly engineered 8" woofer using modern technology with a smaller magnet.

T

raj

• http://-
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2005, 12:03:10 PM »

Hi  Tim ,
Well my 8" driver may not be THE BEST but it is doing fine and I have the satisfaction that I have CUSTOM made the driver , further please note that this is operating at a crossover of 350hz hence for good efficency very less Xmax is required .

Your write up is more suitable for a woofer but here the 8" is a MIDRANGE

"that particular 8 looks like a chinese speaker, although the magnet is wide, it does not have an extended backplate or room for a particularly long excursion. Betcha it doesnt have venting through the basket either. Will probably sound good--but not as good as a properly engineered 8" woofer using modern technology with a smaller magnet."
RL

Tim Duffin

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2005, 04:45:10 AM »

I guess your right, it just seems like a waste of material and an unneccessarily heavy structure for a midrange.  The current popular thing in pro-audio is making stuff lighter not heavier.

Tim

Darin Bradfield

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2006, 12:02:34 PM »

Has any one else actualy built a pair of these? if so, how where they?

[x]

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2006, 08:18:51 PM »

The enormous BL from the huge motor makes the 8" cone more suitable for use on the end of the midrange horn (though I guess since high compression ratios aren't involved, the horn works more like a waveguide). The Community M4 is basically a compression driver built around an 8" cone. But the magnet is comparatively even larger than the one on Raj's driver. If the horn had a higher compression ratio, I'd still have no reservations about Raj's driver's ability to drive it. In a smaller, lighter motor design, a Neodymium magnet would have been used, but I imagine that for Raj, ferrite donuts are what is available to him, so the very large motor structure is as a result of working with what's available. And it is a purpose-built midrange with an Xmax of +/- 2mm, so an extended T-yoke is not needed. Don't be hatin'.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 17 queries.