ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Protottype X-tro Top  (Read 50255 times)

michiel

Re: Protottype X-tro Top
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 09:05:49 AM »

Walter, if you are finished with the X tro project; are you planning to modify the x tro for the lab horn? You can make the front wider and get a trapeziod cabinet and make the mouth bigger for a litle more output? I think this modification make the x tro perfect for the lab horn.

Walt de Jong

Gen II prototype
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 05:00:12 AM »

You can see the gen II prototype in the next link:

http://www.speakerstore.nl/index.php?l=en&pg=11&p=&a mp;c=23

We modified the 15" section to get more kick out of it.

Their will be some testing of the new design this weekend when we take two X-tro's out to power a 600 people party in a large church. Six Punishers subs will help to get the low end right. Amps wil be QSC PL and Crest CA.

Best regards,

Walt

[x]

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 08:31:48 AM »

[x]
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 08:45:20 PM »

It certainly is pushing the limits for cramming 2 15"s Mid horn + HF horn!

Surely one 15" mounted upon a midbass horn can have enough output?

My approach would be to use 1 15" on a larger horn,but thats just my opinion.

Cheers!

raj

• http://-
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 11:00:28 PM »

Hello Walt ,
Your design is very interesting , and seems to be very powerful, that too in a small size,
What are the outside dimensions of these Tops , are they hornloaded up

to 80hz that is nearly three feet of horn , when will the plans be finally

availible for us to construct .
Regards
Rajeev
RL

Walt de Jong

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 03:36:39 AM »

Hello Raj,

The 2x15" section is not a real horn. I chose a design such as Speakerplans HD-15 or the Funktion One and Turbosound bins. The high effciency down to 90Hz is due to the bandpass action taking place. The BR pipe has an bit of expansion which works as a short horn which helps the upper region of the 2x15" section bandwith. So it is not a true horn but is does have high effciency.

A true horn which would reach 90Hz with ease would probably be a 70Hz horn or so. The length would be to long to fit in the cabinet. Therefore I would have needed folding. I don't like the sound of a folded horn up to 300Hz. I know it is possible (look at Fitzmaurice DR designs) but I chose another route.

Instead of a 10" or 12" on a longer folded horn I ended up using 2x15" driver on a much shorter horn. Double 15" has an advantage when it comes to powerhandling. The X-tro lowsection cab handle around 1600W without problems.

Outside dimensions are about H 31.5" x W 19.7" x D 32" It fits perfectly on top of a stack of two Punisher horns. That was where it was designed for in the first place.

Best regards,

Walt

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 08:59:18 AM »

Walt wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 03:36

Hello Raj,

The 2x15" section is not a real horn. I chose a design such as Speakerplans HD-15 or the Funktion One and Turbosound bins. The high effciency down to 90Hz is due to the bandpass action taking place. The BR pipe has an bit of expansion which works as a short horn which helps the upper region of the 2x15" section bandwith. So it is not a true horn but is does have high effciency.

A true horn which would reach 90Hz with ease would probably be a 70Hz horn or so. The length would be to long to fit in the cabinet. Therefore I would have needed folding. I don't like the sound of a folded horn up to 300Hz. I know it is possible (look at Fitzmaurice DR designs) but I chose another route.

Snip-

Best regards,

Walt

I see you are "pinching" the horn on the 15s fairly close to the drivers. Does it cause enough of a load to flatten the phase response down to 90Hz?

Also I see you don't show the phase plug on the mid range horn anymore. Did you measure it and find out it wasn't helping?
BTW, nice effort.  Smile

Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Paul Valenzuela

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 12:33:57 PM »

Hi Walt,

You don't have a complete "tutorial" for the Punishers???

I am going into them, but some things are not really clear for me. Just need something more than the photos (LABSub has some great guide's)  

Will be dificult to me to get the 12.00sw  but I think the result will worth it.

Another thing, when are you going to publish the plans for the X-Tro??? (my subs will need a top hahah Laughing)

Cheers

raj

• http://-
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 11:23:33 PM »

Thanks Walt ,
If more than one of these tops are required per side , how do you

recomend stacking them , vertically or horizontically ? or both ?
RL

Walt de Jong

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 03:14:36 AM »

Hello,

Too Tall: yes indeed it sounded better without the phaseplug. The plug extended HF on the midhorn but it sounded like there was hanging a curtain in front of the cabinet. In the futere we will do further testing on the phaseplug. The X-tro midhorn is removable from the front so it is very easy to update this section..

Rajeev: The X-tro is indeed flat to 90Hz, it can be crossed at 90Hz with no problems. With one X-tro a side you would probably cover around 500-600 people but if you need more I would stack them horizontal and just aim them that way it sounds best (not to narrow because that will lead to combfiltering!) This will depend on the hall.

The carpenter who builds our prototypes had some comments about the ease of construction so I will change some small things in the plans. This saturday the two X-tro's will power a 600-700 people party in a large church here in the Netherlands. A serious test!

Funny detail: yesterday we did our testing in a 12x18 metre hall. They have usually houseparties and bands performing over there. Our setup of 4x Punisher & 1x X-tro was the first system which was able to knock the paintings of the wall. The dB-meter showed 125dB at the basck of the room. You could feel your trousers moving at that distance. The QSC PL6.0 is a real nice amp!

Best regards,

Walt
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 15 queries.