Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: stuff  (Read 8562 times)

Mike Babcock

Re: stuff
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2005, 11:48:36 PM »

LJP

Have you used console tape or artist tape? Doesn't sound like it.

While White E Tape CAN be used, I strongly suggest against it.

Being in Florida can really tell you quickly what happens to E-tape when it gets warm.

I have a tech that loves putting E-tape on consoles, he'll put down like 3 rows, 1 for ch labeling, 1 for gate and comp assignments, 1 for doodling I think. We had a rented PM4K and this guy did his normal thing with E-tape and left it on there. I got a call the day after I returned the console with the owner bitching and screaming about that. Not only was it excessive, it removed paint from the console as they removed it. At that point I made a company wide decision that E-tape was not to be used on our consoles ever again.

There is a Art Supply store called Pearl right down the street from us, they sell artist tape for less than a roll of white E-tape, and it comes in different colors too. It will come off the console, even after a long tour, easily with no residue. There is no reason not to switch over.

I still use colored e-tape, or phase tape, for things like color coding cables. But definately not for console labeling.

YMMV
Mike
http://www.themonitorguy.com/venue
Now with over 1000 venues!!!!!

Lee Patzius

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2005, 11:07:57 AM »

Hi Mike,

Actually, I have used artist tape for about a year, so I went digging for it in my drafting kit and of course, my artist tape is nonexistent.

So I'll go out to get some more to replenish my kit.

Honestly, the only reason for me not using artist tape is because of the abundant supply of the Scotch vinyl 35 laying around.

I admit white electrician's tape's primary use is NOT intended for labelling consoles. Yes it "works", but is NOT the best item to use for labelling jobs for a number of reasons... 1) Sharpies write good on it, but have a tendancy to fade away after a short while, and 2) Pencil don't write on it hardly at all, 3) Ink pens require repeated back and forth rubbing action for the ink to flow, increasing the chance at leaving indented surfaces, and it fades away too... So no... It's NOT the best for labelling jobs! But good enough for temporary usage, using sharpies, while (in my case) peeling off leaving zero residue.  

My original posted response is in regards to Andy L's claim that white e-tape is nearly as bad as duct tape in regards to tape goo, in which I vehemently disagree.

Lee Patzius

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 11:32:42 AM »

Ran out of board tape.  Ooops.  However, we've been painting the house (a never-ending project) and I have a bunch of 1" painter's masking tape lying around.  I grabbed a roll, works fine, and of course doesn't leave a mess.

This probably marks me as "not pro" but what the hey.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Dave Nolan

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 06:21:49 AM »

Masking tape - if left on a while can get goopy.

Andy - I sympathise with ya on the house thing... Why can't they just make houses that look after themselves (although I like my tiny ramshackle house, even though it is a huge money pit)

We use electricians tape (but we remove it every time)...

Shame on me, I guess.

Dave M.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 04:27:34 PM »

Scouse Dave wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 04:21

Masking tape - if left on a while can get goopy.

True, but our custom is to remove it after zeroing the console.  Of course, we're anal about such things.

I'm quite fond of how they used to label the old console (Soundcraft 2S) at CBGB: every channel was labeled "fsck."  It was, as far as I could tell, permanent.

Quote:

Andy - I sympathise with ya on the house thing... Why can't they just make houses that look after themselves (although I like my tiny ramshackle house, even though it is a huge money pit)

They DO, but they cost a whole lot more!

-a (still has ten piles of ceramic tile in the living room)
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Dave Nolan

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 06:11:02 AM »

Andy Peters wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 21:27

-a (still has ten piles of ceramic tile in the living room)

Spooky - I have been in the process tiling my kitchen for about a year now...

I agreed with my wife just last night that I would definately get it done before baby arrives at the end of July...

The only other things we need to get done are:
 Decorate the dining room.  
 Decorate the hallway,
 decorate our bedroom,
 Have a new bathroom fitted (just need to come up with
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.