ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Un-budgeting the budget-minded  (Read 2974 times)

Mike Galica

• http://www.maskilstudios.com
Un-budgeting the budget-minded
« on: July 27, 2004, 03:39:09 AM »

Ok, so here's the thing.  My church, along with I'm sure most other churches, is very budget-minded.  This in and of itself isn't completely a bad thing, except that the purchases they make tend to be rather not well thought out.  For example, our last purchase was a dbx feedback killer because apparently the DRPA with its BUILT-IN feedback killer wasn't doing the job.  Of course this makes it easier for me to bypass the stupid thing when they actually let me touch the desk but still, it's a totally redundant purchase.  The guys in charge of the sound ministry, though well meaning, have neither training nor the desire to be trained, which of course is the root of the poor decision making.  How can I try and nudge these guys in the right direction and both increase their knowledge and help them to make better decisions about the gear they buy while not sounding like a know-it-all trying to cut in on their action?

Sorry this is a little rambling, but it's late and I've had too much coffee today.
Mike Galica

Stuie

Re: Un-budgeting the budget-minded
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 07:58:48 AM »

Hi Mike

Try prayer

What the story dont these people listen. I would try and change your approach when it comes to these specific people as they may think your a real pain. Try talking with your pastor tell them what is going on. Not many pastors i know like pouring dollars down the drain.

Cheers
Stuie

Bob Currier

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 05:50:47 PM »

Make sure to keep serving and staying involved.  Once you've invested some time and sweat, folks will be more inclined to value your opinion.  Keep showing up and you'll be surprised that those un-teachables may be interested in what you know.

--bc

Mike Galica

• http://www.maskilstudios.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 06:55:48 PM »

Not listening is pretty much exactly what they do.  A little more background is that I was the go-to guy at the church about 4 years ago.  I moved to Tulsa for a while, and now I'm back.  As happens, while I was gone the people that were just starting to learn became those who were teaching.  This led to almost an entirely new crew, especially given that the experienced ones decided to stop mixing for various reasons.  Thankfully the music minister and I had been friends for a while before he took the position, so he trusts my opinion and knows what I can do.  Most of the guys that are just starting to learn aren't the problem, its the ones that know enough to get in trouble but don't really have a concept of what sounds good that are the problem.

I know it's a fairly complicated, mostly people-related thing, but that's the good and bad about churches right?  Gotta love minimally skilled volunteers.

Edit: some grammatical things I missed before
Mike Galica

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 06:55:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 23 queries.