ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to minimize comb filterting  (Read 2127 times)

Rodney Connelly

How to minimize comb filterting
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »

Let's say I have two 12 inch two way speakers and I want to place them in a room.  Lets also say that the dispersion patter in 90 wide by 60.  How can I place these speakers so that people don't hear the swoosh sound as they walk past the area between the two speakers?

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: How to minimize comb filterting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 10:30:26 AM »

nrgdjs wrote on Fri, 28 January 2005 06:21

Let's say I have two 12 inch two way speakers and I want to place them in a room.  Lets also say that the dispersion patter in 90 wide by 60.  How can I place these speakers so that people don't hear the swoosh sound as they walk past the area between the two speakers?

You widen the area between the two speakers. I don't have a rule of thumb for how far apart they should be but I would bet that greater than ten feet or 3 meters apart would work fine.

If you must place the two speakers in the exact same location positioned flat against each other then you should select speaker cabinets that have been designed for this purpose. The finest cabinets I've ever heard with this characteristic are made by SPL. I like the SPL td1.

Failing that, you can splay your two speakers (keep the back corners touching but widen the space between the front corners) until the two natural dispersion patterns are intersecting as little as possible. Technically, the 6dB down points at the two edges of dispersion are the intersecting area, although the 6dB down point gets wider as the frequency goes down. Depending on the speaker box and the horn flare, you might end up with a very wide angle between them. Even 90 degrees...

Finally, you can stack the two speakers so that one is right side up and the other is upside-down on top of it. This makes all your swooshy sounds happen in the vertical plane. People walking back and forth won't hear it.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.