ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power power everywhere but not a drop to tap :)  (Read 1362 times)

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
Power power everywhere but not a drop to tap :)
« on: January 26, 2005, 06:23:34 pm »

We are doing a show in a high school auditorium and don’t have access to more then two AC110/15A circuits. That will be fine for sound. Although we don’t need much for lighting (4000w) we don’t have it. There is no panel anywhere near by for our tails and there is no 220 and reducing the lighting is not an option. However there is a TL3 outlet marked 208v on the wall. I presume it’s for some sort of buffer or motor. So three prongs tells me there is no common. Any suggestions? I was told by another sound & lighting guy to use the ground as a common. I don’t know how comfortable I am with that. And it is probably illegal. (Even though I am in Quebec where anything goes)  Help Smile
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

David Buckley

Re: Power power everywhere but not a drop to tap :)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 01:48:39 am »

I've no idea what a TL3 socket is.

If its three pin, 208V, three phase, with a grounded body or whatever, no neutral, hire a transformer, a wye/delta transformer, that will give you 208V 3 phase with neutral, or 110v single phase three times over if you like.  Wire up the grounds solid, you dont want any bodies around.

safe, easy and (I'd hope) legal.

mikeg

Re: Power power everywhere but not a drop to tap :)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 01:56:08 pm »

Hey man, been in that situation many times. As ridiculous as it may sound for a gym, consider renting a genny and tying into that for your lighting power. Don't forget the groung rod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 19 queries.