ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sam Ash protocol  (Read 7823 times)

jack owen

Re: Sam Ash protocol
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 06:03:12 PM »

You just had to figure out how to play there game. You first went to Manny's and got a price, then you went to Ash, then back to Manny's for a better price and back and forth. Sometimes it took awhile but they both tried hard not to lose a sale. My favorite store on the same side of the street near Alex was simply called "We Buy And Sell Guitars". Basically a guitar pawn shop.

stl jack

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 07:06:29 PM »

stl jack wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 17:03

You just had to figure out how to play there game. You first went to Manny's and got a price, then you went to Ash, then back to Manny's for a better price and back and forth. Sometimes it took awhile but they both tried hard not to lose a sale. My favorite store on the same side of the street near Alex was simply called "We Buy And Sell Guitars". Basically a guitar pawn shop.

stl jack

Yes, but you didn't have to drive hundreds of miles to play that game. There were several dealers in NE back in those days that were paying the same wholesale for product as Ash or Manny's who would deal. It just wasn't as good of a story. The skill of selling is having the customer believe he's getting a deal even when he isn't.

I believe the folks on 48th street were still doing OK for themselves.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Bob Lee (QSC)

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2005, 11:55:36 AM »

NH … New Hampshire or N'Haven? Wink
Bob Lee
Applications Engineer, Tech Services Group QSC Audio
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
www.linkedin.com/in/qscbob

"If it sounds good, it is good."
 -Duke Ellington

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2005, 12:32:24 PM »

Bob Lee (QSC) wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 10:55

NH … New Hampshire or N'Haven? Wink

The two I was talking about looked like they just walked out of a Norman Rockwell painting and drove down from either New Hampshire or Vermont.... NH was easier to abbreviate. They drove past Jeff's store in Hartford, maybe another serious dealer in New Haven on their way to the "Big City".... I don't know that Boston had their price act very together back in those days but once you add in the cost of gas and value of drive time, even the Daddy's chain up there if not even closer to their homes wasn't that bad of a deal.

JR

-----

ordmen

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2005, 02:07:35 PM »

JR,

That's Alex Axe your thinking of.

Mike

Jason Ludden

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2005, 02:39:44 PM »

I have to admit I am spoiled.  I have been all over the country to many GC, Sam Ash, Mars (R.I.P), Music go Round.  And over all I have had between poor and abysmal service.

But locally (Southern CT) I am totally spoiled.

My local guitar center (Orange CT).  Has a Pro Audio section with a great manager (Shawn Chua)  he helped me to design and build my first PA and I love it.  He is very open to me talking to my about gear they don't stock.  And will often tell me not to buy something I am looking at,  without pushing a different product.  My local Pro audio loyalties are completely with him.

And up until recently we had J0e Delaney (joetown.com) at Sam Ash.  I good live guy, but a GREAT studio guy.  He has moved on to other ventures,  but I still keep in touch with him.

It would have been scary to hear what the credit card companies and my wife would have said, if J0e and Shawn both worked together.

My

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 02:56:14 PM »

Back before the super stores took over there was a fair music scene in CT...Plenty of studios and some serious live music in New Haven area. One of the better pro audio dealers (Ham Brosious/Audiotechniques) in Stamford and several good MI dealers around... I suspect some of that gene pool may be still floating around.

JR

-----

Graham Riggle

• http://chautauquaAMP.com
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2005, 08:56:53 AM »

Was he actualy shoping for a Mic cable with an On/Off switch , or one of the cables Ive used before that have the tiny button on the end that turns it on and off as its pluged in and removed?  Idea
  You can do it your own way , long as its done just how I say.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2005, 10:57:14 AM »

I like the ones with a phantom-powered LED that lights when the cable is "on". Mmm... power draw. I think I'll use one of those on my Earthworks mics and see how much smoke I can let out of my board.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.