ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tuba 36 debuts  (Read 31426 times)

[x]

Re: The Tuba 36 debuts
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2005, 05:40:49 PM »

They're a little hard to find, because they're not with the plans. Instead, they are with the Submeeting page in the "Projecten" section. The fact that it's not in English makes it a little harder.

http://www.speakerstore.nl/index.php?l=nl&pg=12&prjI D=11
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

David Wertz

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2005, 11:06:57 PM »

I just completed my 1st Tuba 24 this evening.   I followed the plans as closely as possible meaning that I did not deviate from the specs (to the best of my ability).

I used the HL10a driver.

I have to admit that my woodworking skills are still in thier infancy so it took me about 5 days to complete over a period of 2 weeks.

After I finished it tonight I gave it a quick test drive just to make sure it worked.

My system is a Yamaha 01v96 console connected to a DBX Driverack PA then into a QSC 3402 for the subs and a QSC 3002 for the mid/high boxes.   For my quick test I just setup a mono source to the DRPA.  I setup the low freq to send 35-100Hz to one channel of the 3402.  

I fired up my Keith Urban CD (has a great kick) and listened to it for a minute.

It certainly thumped but I have not made any conclusions yet.   Since I rarely ever listen to a single sub (without a top) in my garage I didn't really have a reference point.   I am going to bring one of my 2x18 front loaded cabs (EVM18B-II drivers) in tomorrow to A/B test.

I took a couple minutes to play around with the crossover and could certainly tell a difference when I dropped the low freq down to 25Hz!  I would probably never run it that way but I was curious to see if it would reproduce that low.

I am really looking forward to finding out what this box will do.  I really hope if does what I think it will do.

I am going to try doing some measurements tomorrow.  Since I have never done anything that that before I guess I will just pump pink noise through it and measure it.

If anyone can give me some tips to make my measurements more accurate or meaningful, I would really appreciate it.

David Wertz

Steve Shafer

Need distortion specs as well
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2005, 11:43:46 AM »

I am glad to see that some one with Smaart will have a chance to do some measuring of the Tubas.  While I am more interested in the 30 and the 36, it would be great to see some qaulity data on Bill's designs.

While db output is a vital spec, I hope we can get some distortion specs and specs on multiple Tuba's as well.

Let us all know what you find, and if you can post a few graphs on Bill's site

Steves

David Wertz

Re: Need distortion specs as well
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2005, 10:58:23 PM »

Stevesb65 wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 11:43

I am glad to see that some one with Smaart will have a chance to do some measuring of the Tubas.  While I am more interested in the 30 and the 36, it would be great to see some qaulity data on Bill's designs.

While db output is a vital spec, I hope we can get some distortion specs and specs on multiple Tuba's as well.

Let us all know what you find, and if you can post a few graphs on Bill's site

Steves

I just posted my initial results over on Bill's site.  Please remember that I am prety new to this speaker building / testing.

http://audioroundtable.com/BillFitzmaurice/messages/2742.htm l

[x]

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2005, 01:43:46 PM »

That curve actually looks about right. It has a useful response to 35 or so Hz with the HL-10, but there is a big step up around 60-70 Hz where the horn loading starts to kick in. A lot of that low stuff is the HL-10 doing its thing in direct-radiator mode.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.