ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX712  (Read 51017 times)

Tom Reid

Re: JBL SRX712
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 09:17:08 PM »

Jeff Weed wrote on Mon, 09 January 2006 17:55

Mike Russell wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 13:56

A small update to this post. I went ahead and bought 4 of the 712m's and sound quality and performance are impressive for the money. I will say that I think JBL made a mistake in making a wedge aimed for the MI market that requires so much power though. I was using MA 2402's on my old wedges with no problems. Of course they has a higher effecientcy rating than the 712m's (500W and 99db 1w 1m vs 800W 95db 1w 1m) but I really didn't take the JBL rating seriously at first and thought the crown MA 2402's would be enough for my applications. I was wrong. My MA 2402's are now MA 3600vz's. Now the wedges are happy. But what doesn't make any sense is that JBL's srx line is indeed an MI product (higher end MI product but still not considered a pro touring product). Needing that kind of power works fine for me but for those who are shopping on a smaller budget, it simply put them out of place in an MI market.
Mike Russell

How is everyone running these?  Big dual channel amps or 2 bridged amps?  Just curious, I'm thinking about a pair of SRX725's or Turbosound TXD-252.  Either way, requires a big investment in power.

Bi-amp the 725.
Run 2400w into each pair of 15's
And 200w into the tops.

Running full range the 725 is 1200/2400/3600w for power.
The HF driver will take 75/150/300w in the biamp mode.
The bottom 15's deal with the same power range as full range.
4 Ohms on the bottom, 8 on top.

Crown XS900 is 2500w 4 ohm monobridge.
tom
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

John Penkala

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »

Mike,
    I also had to upgrade amps after adopting some 712's. I don't recommend these monitors for most small time bar bands unless they can afford to power them correctly. For those who can afford to power them properly, they make a great monitor, front fill, delay, small main, utility speaker, etc..

JP

bo putnam

Re: JBL SRX712M
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 09:31:20 PM »

Jeff Weed wrote on Mon, 09 January 2006 15:55

How is everyone running these?  Big dual channel amps or 2 bridged amps?
Mostly running them passive, using QSC's.  They have upped the "power budget" some, but so far that hasn't been a problem.  

I'm intrigued by the comments on "lack directivity" - I haven't gotten that feedback (yet...).  I've have gotten uniformly very positive reports from the artists - they seem to hear better and at lower SPL.  
bo

SOUNDsupport

<font size="1">oops - wrong door...</font>

Grayson Rech

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 01:24:51 PM »

Okay, I'm really intreged.  I've been listening to users of this wedge for a while now on how they sound so amazing.  I even went ahead and pre-spec'd 4 of them on an upcoming install.

Last week I was able to finally hear (wasn't going to plop $900 bills based solely on a spec sheet) them at a large reputable east coast supplier.  The console was an A&H GL3800 EQ'd flat running to an Itech 4000, speakers were run passive.  I wish I could say otherwise but it was probably the worst sounding wedge I'd ever heard . . . like a couple of speakers mounted in a cardboard box.  Sure it was awesomely lite and small but put beside a JBL Mpro 412 it was stomped on.  Confused  
Now because I haven't heard any real complaints on this box from anyone here, I'm really wondering if the box was being sabotaged so to speak in favour of another box.  I watched the sales rep move the NL4 from the 712 to the mpro412 and a world of difference came through.  I tried a few tracks from CD and the real test of a Shure SM58 as a vocal monitor.  Am I missing something or just was this a doomed test before I even got there?  Just curious as to explain a box that went waaaaayyyy beyond bad sounding.  This defide a "it doesn't fit my taste sounds".  

I mean no offense to those giving there opinions I still look to you all for insite and experiences.  However, as dave said a while back, internet can't offer what meatland can! or something like that.

Respectfully,
Grayson

Close enuff for rock n' roll

The Guy

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 07:27:01 PM »

There was something wrong with the SRX712 in your demo, possibly some blown drivers or a burned up internal crossover....I have used the 712's and can tell you that a MP412 is not better in any way, except maybe the fact that it's cheaper.    A SRX712/IT4000 is not exactly a 'suck' setup!

I don't know why the rep would sabotage the SRX against the 412...they're both JBL products, and he should be motivated to sell the one that's 2x as expensive.  Try one for yourself, with your rig, and see what you find out.
-JB

Grayson Rech

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 10:50:42 AM »

In the grand sceme of things the Mpro412 will be easier on the budget and still meet their requirements.  It really blew my mind to hear it . . . my brother (also a fellow audio guy) felt the same way  . . . it only took 2 measures on the CD track to think WTF?  

Thanks for the intel and some day I might try them out again on 100% my terms meaning a fully controlled environment.

Cheers!
Grayson
Close enuff for rock n' roll

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 04:19:44 PM »

bo putnam wrote on Mon, 06 March 2006 19:31

I'm intrigued by the comments on "lack directivity" - I haven't gotten that feedback (yet...).  I've have gotten uniformly very positive reports from the artists - they seem to hear better and at lower SPL.

What are the boxes made of?  Light, or lightly-braced, boxes will resonate, and the result could be what John describes.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

bo putnam

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 09:30:27 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Wed, 08 March 2006 13:19

What are the boxes made of?  Light, or lightly-braced, boxes will resonate, and the result could be what John describes.
Offhand, I don't know.  Really good question.  

They don't exhibit any obvious/troubling resonance(s) on Smaart.  Running Pink Noise and various music content on them while pre-programming the Protea 4.24 GS (using FFT) showed far fewer frequencies that needed "correcting", and to a far lesser extent than other wedges (I've now got quite a library of presets...).  "Out of the box", they are flatter than anything I've previously used.  

I'll ask around, and maybe crack one open to see the bracing, and cabinet construction (will post pics).  Beats re-racking between gigs...  Rolling Eyes
bo

SOUNDsupport

bo putnam

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 10:52:30 AM »

From the brochure...

The enclosure is constructed of top quality birch plywood and coated in JBL’s rugged DuraFlex™ finish. The attractive CNC-machined, 16-gauge steel grille wraps around the sides of the enclosure so there are no protruding lips on the front of the box to create acoustical interference. The grilles are internally lined with acoustically transparent foam to provide additional driver protection and give a very professional appearance.

I'll open one up and check on the bracing question.
bo

SOUNDsupport

Tom Reid

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 11:49:54 PM »

The 718 and 728 use 18mm 13-ply birch plywood.
The rest of the line is 15mm 11-ply birch plywood.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.