ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX712  (Read 51015 times)

David "Luke" Landis

Re: JBL SRX712
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 07:28:25 AM »

Akki Serd wrote on Wed, 06 January 2010 01:31

hi,.
is one xti4000 enough to run 2x srx 712?

is there any problems running them as full range speakers?
tnx

Bridge the 4000 and run momo? Cross them at 90hz with a sub. They are a bit weak in the low end without some sort of sub.
I run one on a bridged XTi 2000 on each side over a 718 for smaller shows. They do sound good for waht I use them for.

Keith Clarkson

• http://www.eventsound.com.au
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »

I run my 712M's on Crown XTI4000's & have never felt the need for more power
This delivers 650W into a single box running passive or 600w into each box if 2 boxes on one side of amp (4ohms) I work with a lot of name artists & have never ran out of headroom for stage monitors even running passive with the pickiest artists who want it "loud"
Crown amp specs are guaranteed minumum continuous power not peak power as some other amp manufacturers spec so this is working in your favour as these amps deliver the power they say they do for more than just a  ms as a lot of other brand amps achieve their max rating often for only this long & cannot sustain the power.

The other great thing about the Crown XTI series is that the boxes can be pre Eq-d to be nice & flat before you start so you only have to tune for feedback/room / artist not box correction as this can be done once in factory conditions with accurate measuring equipment  stored as a preset on the Amp .

Gavin Pearce

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »

We've got 16 of them running passive at a national venue and they've worked great. I've mixed monitors on them for lots of bands from P-Funk to Levon Helm to Hell Yeah (members from Pantera etc...) to Jay-Z. Never had a problem. I did write in some decent parametrics on the outputs of the PM5D and I recommend a limiter if you dont have active processing. I also own 8 of them myself that I use for monitors or mains for my small sound company. Also have 2 of the VRX915M, 4 of the VRX932, 6 of the VRX918S and 2 of the VRX928. I think JBL has really done good work with this lates series of speakers. I used to not like JBL so much. I have toured quite a bit and until Paul Bowman (spelling?) wrote presets for the Vertec I hated them. I mixed on 2 good Vertec rigs out of 75 before that. One was in Latvia and the other at the Verizon Theatre in Houston. Anyway, it seems that JBL has come to play these days.
Back to the SRX712M, if you run them biamped with an I-Tech 4000 or 5000 per mix they are a truly rocking box. I tour doing monitors for Thievery Corporation and we have a LOUD stage with 8 singers throughout the night. I'm usually quite happy when i come to a venue that has these. When carrying a touring rig my first choice is D&B M2s after that I'm happy to see the little SRX712M. As far as price versus performance I dont think you can beat the SRX712M. I think dealer cost is around $800 per box these days and at 38 pounds I load in by myself and I'm fine with that. Anyway, I'm buying more...
Oh and if you need just a little bit more the VRX915M is awesome too.

Bob Kenton

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »

Gavin Pearce wrote on Tue, 23 March 2010 03:36

We've got 16 of them running passive at a national venue and they've worked great. I've mixed monitors on them for lots of bands from P-Funk to Levon Helm to Hell Yeah (members from Pantera etc...) to Jay-Z. Never had a problem. I did write in some decent parametrics on the outputs of the PM5D and I recommend a limiter if you dont have active processing. I also own 8 of them myself that I use for monitors or mains for my small sound company. Also have 2 of the VRX915M, 4 of the VRX932, 6 of the VRX918S and 2 of the VRX928. I think JBL has really done good work with this lates series of speakers. I used to not like JBL so much. I have toured quite a bit and until Paul Bowman (spelling?) wrote presets for the Vertec I hated them. I mixed on 2 good Vertec rigs out of 75 before that. One was in Latvia and the other at the Verizon Theatre in Houston. Anyway, it seems that JBL has come to play these days.
Back to the SRX712M, if you run them biamped with an I-Tech 4000 or 5000 per mix they are a truly rocking box. I tour doing monitors for Thievery Corporation and we have a LOUD stage with 8 singers throughout the night. I'm usually quite happy when i come to a venue that has these. When carrying a touring rig my first choice is D&B M2s after that I'm happy to see the little SRX712M. As far as price versus performance I dont think you can beat the SRX712M. I think dealer cost is around $800 per box these days and at 38 pounds I load in by myself and I'm fine with that. Anyway, I'm buying more...
Oh and if you need just a little bit more the VRX915M is awesome too.

Any chance that you have heard the little VRX915s subwoofer?

Cole R. Lofink

• http://www.sonuslive.com
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »

Chuck Simon wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 16:50

for monitors.  At 37 pounds each and using the same components as the Vertec System

Who told you that there using the same components as the Vertec System? I don't believe that information is accurate.
Cole R. Lofink
SONUS
www.sonuslive.com

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »

Cole R. Lofink wrote on Sat, 10 April 2010 21:33

Chuck Simon wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 16:50

for monitors.  At 37 pounds each and using the same components as the Vertec System

Who told you that there using the same components as the Vertec System? I don't believe that information is accurate.

You can believe what ever you want, but if you look it up you will see that the 712M uses the same 12" woofer and 1" compression driver as a Vertec 4888.

Mac

Jason Phair

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »

I've torn 'em both apart a few times, and the basket on the 12's are different - different weight, and looks like a totally different alloy.  I didn't get into the magnet/coil to see what was going on in there, though.
Jason Phair

Chuck Simon

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 09:42:23 AM »

So, you think JBL has two different versions of the 2262H?  Seems hard to believe.

(Wow, this thread is still alive 6 years later!)

brian maddox

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »

Chuck Simon wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 09:42

So, you think JBL has two different versions of the 2262H?  Seems hard to believe.

(Wow, this thread is still alive 6 years later!)

alive and kickin'  Smile

i'm surprised no one has mentioned the weird high end thing.  'what weird high end thing, brian?'  glad you asked.

i work with a small company in sterling, va and they bought 8 of these with the subs based largely on the package, which is, i'll grant, pretty sweet.  stick speaker [love the dual pole mount], monitor, light, well built, etc.

but the first time i took them out i noticed this weird sound in the horn driver, kinda like a 'vibrating wax paper on a comb' thing, but much more subtle.  and all the 712s had it.  when i pointed it out to the company owner, he concurred.  i tried eqing it out, but that just tore into the clarity of the box.

long story shorter, i used them a bunch of times after that, but it was never a pleasant experience.  all i could hear was that weird sound character.  drove me bananas.

i should say, this shop is almost exclusively a d&b shop, so i am used to hearing some pretty sweet speakers.  still, this was a weirdness i never got over.

YMMV>

brian

brian maddox
brianm@fcfchurch.com
www.fcfchurch.com

'do not trifle with the affairs of dragons....
       ....  for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.