ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX712  (Read 51021 times)

Chuck Simon

JBL SRX712
« on: January 17, 2005, 04:50:53 PM »

I bought a couple of the new JBL SRX712's a few months back to use for monitors.  At 37 pounds each and using the same components as the Vertec System, I had high expectations.  Normally, I never get to really hear my monitors in use as I am usually out front mixing. This weekend I did sound for an acoustic act and I used the new JBLs on a stick powered by a QSC 3402 for the mains.  I was very impressed.  They were very natural sounding and louder than necessary with no EQ.  I ended up boosting the low end just a little.  I am very happy with my purchase and will probably get a couple more.  I would be interested in hearing other opinions of the new SRX 700 series.  

Rick James

Re: JBL SRX712
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 02:29:30 AM »

I purchased the JBLSRX715's and 118 subs and I am very pleased with them over the last two months. There pole mounts and poles are great. The quality of the cabinets and components seems very good. The light weight really pushed me towards this series. The Nexo's PS 15s and LS sub would have been nice, but are priced much higher and the weight is more, althoigh still reasonable. The Jbl'seem to fit a good niche in the Pro- Semi pro market.  There may be comprable speakers that sound better- Nexo Meyer but they also cost twicw as much. These are a good alternative to EAW- JF speakers.

Rick

Mike Russell

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 02:11:26 PM »

As an owner of a Nexo PS15 system I can vouch that they are hard to beat and have a huge amount of output for a little box but I have to agree that at the price point the new JBL700 series comes in at it's allot of bang for the buck. I have one of the SRX725's for a drum box and I no longer have to worry about my drummer not getting what he needs in his monitor (he love's a ton of kick and really wants to feel it). The box screams and sounds good. Bass response for a box like that is awesome. I'm looking to retire my EAW sm122e wedges that I've had for some time and am thinking of replacing them with the 712m's. Seems to me that JBL got it right on this series.
Mike Russell

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 11:13:17 PM »

It's ironic too me how this thread has came back to life at this point.  I have 7 of my EVX150 and DH1A loaded wedges up for sale as we speak, with intent to purchase 8 to 12 of the SRX712M's.  I haven't even heard them yet, but judging by their reviews, I'm sure they'll be incredible for anything I'm doing.  And with their light weight, small size, great looks, and all around versatility, I have a good feeling about making the decision to buy them, even without hearing them.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

bo putnam

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 03:53:13 PM »

Yea, more here...

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/7577/4540/?SQ=1c b558e9bfdbe9409800067a59765223
bo

SOUNDsupport

<font size="1">oops - wrong door...</font>

Mike Russell

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 06:56:15 PM »

A small update to this post. I went ahead and bought 4 of the 712m's and sound quality and performance are impressive for the money. I will say that I think JBL made a mistake in making a wedge aimed for the MI market that requires so much power though. I was using MA 2402's on my old wedges with no problems. Of course they has a higher effecientcy rating than the 712m's (500W and 99db 1w 1m vs 800W 95db 1w 1m) but I really didn't take the JBL rating seriously at first and thought the crown MA 2402's would be enough for my applications. I was wrong. My MA 2402's are now MA 3600vz's. Now the wedges are happy. But what doesn't make any sense is that JBL's srx line is indeed an MI product (higher end MI product but still not considered a pro touring product). Needing that kind of power works fine for me but for those who are shopping on a smaller budget, it simply put them out of place in an MI market.
Mike Russell

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 08:15:51 PM »

I posted the following on the Rat Sound forum a while back..

"I just purchased 2 of the JBL SRX712M wedges, and so far, they're incredible.  800 watts, pole cups, biamp/passive switch, and 33 pounds!  They are definitely the most versatile utility box/monitor you could purchase in their price range.  Oh and I almost forgot, they sound amazing.  Extremely smooth sound with no crazy off/on axis hot-spots.  The only problem I'm having with them is projection... Instead of the sound coming from the baffleboard, it almost seems as if it's radiating from the entire box.  My guys find it very weird and have mentioned that even the musicians have noticed the lack of directivity".

My feelings haven't changed, it's really weird, but they just don't project very well.

-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Rob Burgess

• Montreal, QC, Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 03:08:43 AM »

Mike, are you running them passive?  If so, have you tried them active on a 2402?  I know the 725 opens up a bit when you run them active and I'm curious about the 712.  (The company I work with runs the 725s on IT-4000s though, so it's kinda like comparing apples to aardvarks.)

--
Rob
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Tom Reid

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »

Mike Russell wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 17:56

A small update to this post. I went ahead and bought 4 of the 712m's and sound quality and performance are impressive for the money. I will say that I think JBL made a mistake in making a wedge aimed for the MI market that requires so much power though. I was using MA 2402's on my old wedges with no problems. Of course they has a higher effecientcy rating than the 712m's (500W and 99db 1w 1m vs 800W 95db 1w 1m) but I really didn't take the JBL rating seriously at first and thought the crown MA 2402's would be enough for my applications. I was wrong. My MA 2402's are now MA 3600vz's. Now the wedges are happy. But what doesn't make any sense is that JBL's srx line is indeed an MI product (higher end MI product but still not considered a pro touring product). Needing that kind of power works fine for me but for those who are shopping on a smaller budget, it simply put them out of place in an MI market.
Mike Russell

I think the SRX stuff are the boxes that blurs the line between MI and pro.  It takes little vision to see that the amplifier market is going to higher power switching amps, and the SRX can take it.  Having components in the box that are the same ones the big dogs use makes one feel "special" even if they tweek the hell out of 'em and make 'em sound like crap.

Now the issue of getting high SPL out of a SRX setup, off two 15A breakers, that'll break the MI back.

tom "got a few SRX cabinets and loving it"

tom
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Jeff Weed

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 06:55:48 PM »

Mike Russell wrote on Thu, 05 January 2006 13:56

Mike Russell

How is everyone running these?  Big dual channel amps or 2 bridged amps?  Just curious, I'm thinking about a pair of SRX725's or Turbosound TXD-252.  Either way, requires a big investment in power.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.