ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: "Magic" kick drum  (Read 30973 times)

Brian Adams

Re: "Magic" kick drum
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 05:28:58 PM »

Well, yeah, I figured that would be obvious...Wink

I wonder how it would have sounded without a beater head.  Probably not as "full". Very Happy
B.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 11:42:25 PM »

At least you'd have plenty of beater "thunk".
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Mike of Spitshine

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 10:51:44 AM »

B. Adams wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 16:53

I really like the D6.  It's got a solid bottom end with nice highs.  I have no trouble getting nice thump and good beater out of this mic.  I've tried it inside the drum, and it worked pretty well there, but I like it best halfway in the port.  Although I did a band the other day who's kick drum didn't have a head, and I just stuck the mic inside the drum, roughly in the middle, and it worked great there too.

So far, it's my favorite kick mic that I've used.

I agree about the D6. Excellent sounding Kick mic. I also think it's sweetest spot is half way into the port depending on the port size that is. If it's a large port I tend to place it further in closer to the beater. On heads with no port I place it about 1/2" away from the res-head. I have used the MD421, D112, pv45i, Sm57's and 58's and by far the D6 has sounded the best of all these. I still record with my 421 but for live events the D6 is my favorite.

Michael Strickland

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 08:54:39 PM »

I've found the Sennheiser e602 to be a pretty versatile mic. I can get some attack and thump out of it yet still retain the "tone" of the drum.
Where as the D112 just doesn't cut it for a lot of the modern rock bands, and the often times the B91 will have too much attack and not enough thump, and the B52 will just sound too thin, and the D6 seems like it's peak is a little too high and it doesn't seem to "decay" fast enough (if that makes sense?).
So if I need to pick just 1 for a rock and roll club mic, I go with the Sennheiser.
"Can you turn the monitors down please, IT HURTS!" - M.I.A.

Rick Boynton

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 10:07:30 PM »

If a kick drum is tuned correctly you should be able to stick an SM57 on it and it should sound fine. TUNING IS KEY!
Rick Boynton
Audio Visual Technician

Dan Timon

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 10:39:59 PM »

Saxyjazz85 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 22:07

If a kick drum is tuned correctly you should be able to stick an SM57 on it and it should sound fine. TUNING IS KEY!

Tuning is one key, and another is that old real estate saying, "Location, location, location." The "perfect" mic, on the most amazing PA will need lots of EQ to be acceptable when it is hearing the wrong sounds.

Regards,

Dan Timon

Seattle_tech

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 02:04:07 AM »

If we are talking live applications, which i think we are, there are so many factors that its really hard to say which mic works better.  

I've been lucky enough to land a FOH gig with a nice installed system, a drummer who knows how to tune his set, and a decent selection of mics to use on the kick.  So far, with this set-up I have enjoyed the 421 the best.  It's a simple mic, but has the best all-around sound compared to the RE20 which seems a little too "whump"-ish for me or the D6, which i really don't have a case against.

Have a nice day.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 06:54:52 PM »

Saxyjazz85 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 20:07

Ah, student naivety.

The SM57 doesn't have the LF response of the usual kick-drum mics.  It'll sound "fine" if there are no subs, or if you're looking for a kick-drum sound with little bottom end.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 06:59:07 PM »

Seattle_tech wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 00:04

I've been lucky enough to land a FOH gig with a nice installed system, a drummer who knows how to tune his set, and a decent selection of mics to use on the kick.  So far, with this set-up I have enjoyed the 421 the best.  It's a simple mic, but has the best all-around sound compared to the RE20 which seems a little too "whump"-ish for me or the D6, which i really don't have a case against.

Just don't break it.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Adam Robinson

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 04:24:52 AM »

I've had the best luck with the Beta 52 and the D6.  I also second the notion that tuning counts for so much.  

I had a post on the LAB that went over my drum mic experience.  The most important thing I've found is that different drums sound better through different mics.  Sure, the B52 and the D6 will do well in more instances than the others in my opinion, but you just never know. For my current gig, I've tried just about everything (91, Beta 52, D6, D112, RE20, 421, Sennheiser e602, Beyer M88, AE25000) and his drum really sounds best through a lone Beta 52.  I've got another friend who's drum sounds strange through the 52 and awesome through an M88.  

So, in the end, my opinion is if you're a venue or a PA company: Beta 52 or D6.  If you're working with a specific artist:  try as many as you can!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.