ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: "Magic" kick drum  (Read 30964 times)

Tim Padrick

Re: "Magic" kick drum
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 03:12:44 AM »

PDX Mike wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 19:54

I've found the Sennheiser e602 to be a pretty versatile mic. I can get some attack and thump out of it yet still retain the "tone" of the drum.
Where as the D112 just doesn't cut it for a lot of the modern rock bands, and the often times the B91 will have too much attack and not enough thump, and the B52 will just sound too thin, and the D6 seems like it's peak is a little too high and it doesn't seem to "decay" fast enough (if that makes sense?).
So if I need to pick just 1 for a rock and roll club mic, I go with the Sennheiser.

I think your B52 is broken, as I find it to be very ballsy, and that it needs more gate than a D6 to get a "tight rock kick".  A friend has the Sennie, and he likes it only on kicks without a hole in the resonant head "jazz style sound".  I agree on the B91.

Charlie Jeal

• http://www.beyondthedarkside.com
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 09:08:23 AM »

Personal preference these days is a D6 and a Beta91 using 2 channels of Drawmer gating with the peakpunch feature either the MX40 or the DS501 and the 2 channels of gates linked this combo seems to work for most things. This is after a considerable amount of experimentation with single mics and combinations thereof, I also own a B52, a D112 and an MD421 so I've got something for every occasion, plus access to the company stock.

Charlie
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others !!

Dave S

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2005, 11:33:30 PM »

Just a question on this subject guys. Any thoughts [good/bad] on the AKG D550?

Charlie Jeal

• http://www.beyondthedarkside.com
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2005, 07:38:42 PM »

Avoid it wherever possible. I was working on one of the Soundcraft "Going Live" seminars last year and amongst the bunch of Harman supplied gear was a D550 so I thought I'd give it a try, never again an SM58 makes a much better kick mic !! The D550 just plain sucked, the Shure PG52 sound superb in comparison.

Charlie
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others !!

John Chiara

Re: "Magic" kick drum -Real Life!
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 01:08:42 AM »

Thought I'd add a fresh observation based on a weekend club gig.
Seven piece horn/dance band throw together clusterf*#$.
Old Peavey double 18's, older Yorkville 15"/2" passive boxes...decently QSC PLX powered...Behringer X-over.
Mackie 24x4..also "old"...a fiberglass Ludwig 22" kick..Senn.
E-602 mic..channel insert was the SPL Transient Designer into an older Behringer Auto-com.
I had COMPLETE control of the kick sound, feel and character the whole night..freakin' awesome.
So much so that on some hiphop pop stuff I could just crank the release knob of the SPL and simulate a completely controled "808" type kick. Or turn the attack down and make it seem like that kick is a big fluffy foundation for an acoustic number with no bass player...etc. I am thinking that the Rane C4 I just got with the sidechained digital setup may enhance these effects even more.

A great time for sure.

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Tom Reid

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 03:58:44 AM »

Anyone had a chance to play with a Ludwig plexiglass 24"?
I think it's John Bonahm vintage.

The kid plays with a 4" hole in the resonate head, and anything I stick in there doesn't give me any beater, but I get tons of drum.  Lot's of resonanace lower the 80hz.  We've tried a couple different heads.  The Aquarian gives about best results.

I started mic'ing the beater side to get more attack.  As an added benefit, I get the occasional squeak from the Speed King peadal too.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

drumart

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2005, 12:08:09 AM »

As a studio and live drummer I use several mikes, but the best result I get with the Yamaha SUBKICK. A small 'drum' with a speaker inside, placed in front of my res head which picks up all the low end you might not get with a normal mike in your kick. Normally I add another mike for more 'kick' or 'attack'. This Subkick thing really kicks...eeh...bassdrum....
Although the idea (reverse signal through speaker) is very old, Yamaha made a nice 'package' to use it. Also when your kick drum doesn't sound too good that one gig, you still get all your low end through this thing.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2005, 05:28:55 PM »

Tom Reid wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 02:58

Anyone had a chance to play with a Ludwig plexiglass 24"?
I think it's John Bonahm vintage.

The kid plays with a 4" hole in the resonate head, and anything I stick in there doesn't give me any beater, but I get tons of drum.  Lot's of resonanace lower the 80hz.  We've tried a couple different heads.  The Aquarian gives about best results.

I started mic'ing the beater side to get more attack.  As an added benefit, I get the occasional squeak from the Speed King peadal too.

Make sure he does not have a soft pad on the batter head to soften the beater smack.  And make sure he does not have a felt beater.

mattdale

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2005, 02:13:38 PM »

well it seems that many people overlook the fact of tuning the drum and beater style, by saying, it must be tuned "right".  I understand the topic of this thread is to find an all around good kick mic, but i think we have to define what a good sound is.  Take metal music for example, you want to hear all that double bass work, so you have to have a lot of slap, gotta use hard beaters, and you can't mix in all that kick with sloppy deep low end, it just won't work.   but say for jazz or classic rock you might want more deep drum sound.  match the drum and beater style to the type of music you are amplifying.  I've had to deal with a emo band with a 24" diameter x 24" deep kick.  and he tuned the batter head really loose so that the sound was really fat.  It sounded great behind the kit, but it just wasnt practical to mic all that low end.  I just threw a 52 on there and amped the beater slap and the drum did the rest.  all the companies tell you that their mic is the best, but match your mic to the sound.  52's lack fat bottom, 112s sometimes are too round and not fat.  pg 52s sound slightly better than 58s, audix sometimes used in combination give a rich sound.  but maybe any combination of any or all of these for the particular drum you are using may sound good.  so build up your mic locker and be versatile.

Nathan Lehouillier

Kick Drum Sound & Lighting
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2005, 10:23:55 AM »

I use a D-112 Or a B-52 90% of the time. I have a guy
that uses a 26" slingerland tuned really high and to get
the bottom I crave I use a D-12e. To get that attack
"click" I insert a PQX-572 and tune 3.5-4k . This works
well but if the mic is not inside the drum you will get
alot of cymbals. So beware of crashy cymbals syndrome. Shocked

Regards,
Nathan Kick Drum Sound & Lighting
Trust Me I'm a "PRO" Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 15 queries.