ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer ECM-8000 measurement mic  (Read 11659 times)

Charlie Jeal

• http://www.beyondthedarkside.com
Re: Behringer ECM-8000 measurement mic
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 03:22:11 AM »

I'll give another vote to the Audix TR40 I bought one to use whilst M30 was in for repair after some clown dropped it and knocked the diaphragm out of alignment. Needless to say the repair bill came out of his pocket not mine. But I've been pretty impressed with the price/performance balance of the TR40.
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others !!

Adam Robinson

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 07:18:39 PM »

I'm about to buy a TR40 also.  The M30 isn't in my budget right now.

My Behringer mic is quite screwy.  I don't think it's even giving me the same frequency response that it did a couple months ago!  I'll second the comment about it's phase response being horrible.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 07:27:10 PM »

Carl Nagy wrote on Fri, 20 January 2006 05:07

What do you guys think of the Behringer ECM-8000 measurement mic?

I have been offered one of these and a UB-802 miniture mixer at a very good price and would like to use them with a laptop to make smaart measurements to flatten the response of my cabs and for eliminating room modes quickly and easily.

I'm surprised that nobody in this thread has pointed out that you can't eliminate room modes with an electronic equalizer.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Austin Parker

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 09:49:15 PM »

cheap mic with good specs : audix tr40
next step up: earthworks
Austin Parker

Designer  of Audio/Video/Control Systems

"Are you with me? Do you get it? If you have to ask what "IT" is, you don't get it"

Rick Byers

• http://www.lost-dogs.info
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 10:16:24 AM »

Another mic to think about is the DBX one that they partner with the Driverack.

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
dbx, Audix, Rane, Superlux
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 07:35:11 PM »

Rick Byers wrote on Tue, 24 January 2006 07:16

Another mic to think about is the DBX one that they partner with the Driverack.

Well, there's the My First Driverack ...and then you have the real DriveRack line. The toy DRPA comes with the RTA-M and the mic is about $100 to buy separately online from a dozen or more places. I have no idea what kind of quality the RTA-M has within it because I've never heard one or measured one. I'd like to see it compared to a Superlux/Avlex ECM-999, Rane Mic 2 or Audix TR40.

For serious users, the 480 series has the DriveRack 480M mic as optional gear--it's basically a dbx-branded Earthworks M30. I see it retails for $550 at B&H online, so go to SiaSoft's site and get the Smaart M30 for $425 or work a package deal with your official dbx supplier.

index.php/fa/3910/0/

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Sage Plakosh

Re: dbx, Audix, Rane, Superlux
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 05:11:39 AM »

Rolling Eyes
Ok, let's think about this for a second guys.  You are using a $500+ analyzer tool, hopefully a decent quality preamp, and then a $30 microphone?

It does not take a genius to know that in the case of microphones, cost is directly proportional to quality.  There is a reason sm58’s cost 80-bucks and Neumann Km 105’s cost ten times that amount.  

The transformation of acoustic energy to electrical energy (and vise versa) is the most delicate of processes in the signal path.

Now if you are just buying this to make cool blinky lights on your laptop to impress the chicks, fine.

But if you intend to take accurate transfer function, impulse, delay and RTA measurements you had better keep looking.

Just my 2 cents.
In the end, it's all about the time.

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
Re: dbx, Audix, Rane, Superlux
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 12:45:19 PM »

Quote:

...It does not take a genius to know that in the case of microphones, cost is directly proportional to quality.  There is a reason sm58’s cost 80-bucks and Neumann Km 105’s cost ten times that amount...

That's a pretty black/white viewpoint. My take on the subject is more in the gray area between. I think price sometimes has more to do with market forces than with the item's inherent quality. That said, I don't think anyone here considers the cheapest test mics to be as good as the best Josephsons, dpas and Earthworks. This is especially true for a cheap mic that's been 'flattened' regarding frequency vs. amplitude using electronics to produce an counterbalancing EQ curve. Phase suffers horribly.

One gig I had with the Palo Alto Symphony more than ten years ago made me open my eyes regarding cost vs. mic quality. I was putting up and running the PA for the symphony's outing in the park (no bandshell=PA needed) when a guy came up and said he was contracted to record the group. He started setting up his mixer in the middle of the symphony between the tympani and the double basses and running some stiff, skinny, white, unbalanced wires around the area taped to my mic stands or the music stands or to the overhead tent struts. I said something about him setting fishing lines and he laughed. Further explanation from him informed me that the mic elements he was using were so small and delicate that they were soldered and shrink-wrapped to the ends of his skinny cables. The cables terminated at the mixer in 1/4" TS connectors. Each cable was less than 30 feet long. He said the elements were industrial transducers which could be had for $12 a pop. When the guy let me listen to one of them PFL'ed in his headphones, I was amazed at the clarity of sound.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Very Happy

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Suso Ramallo

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 06:44:00 AM »

Hello,

The ECM8000 have a near to good frec response from 40Hz to 8kHz, over 8kHz is very erratic, impossible any real measure over 10kHz (In the Smaart the coherence drops to the floor over 10kHz), but every ECM8000 I tried have a very different response. I know two types, the first one with Panasonic capsule and transformer, and the second one with chinese copy of Panasonic and without transformer.

Behringer ECM8000 (One of the better ECM I measured) against Earthworks M30 (transfer, coincident capsules 15
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.