ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL EON vs. EV SX300  (Read 32129 times)

Jammin'John

JBL EON vs. EV SX300
« on: January 03, 2005, 07:15:33 PM »

I have a friend who thinks the eons are better made speakers. Rolling Eyes
I think that the EV SX300's would be better in a permanent installation, hanging from the ceiling,facing the stage than the eons and I think that they are of higher quality !  Cool

Do you agree..... Confused .....or do you think that the eons are better ?

Thanks, John
Music n'
    Motorcycles !
It's the SAME feelin'
    It's a GOOD feelin'

Robert Guest

• http://www.staminaproductions.com
Re: JBL EON vs. EV SX300
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 07:32:41 PM »

I haven't used the EV. But I will definitely say JBL EON G2 pretty much beats the snot out of other brands for this one reason besides sound quality : They have the heat sinks built into the ports so they do not over heat, the harder you push them the more heat they dissipate.
I know the mackie powered monitors constantly overheat.

Rob Burgess

• Montreal, QC, Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 10:04:29 PM »

Beau Guest wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 19:32

I haven't used the EV. But I will definitely say JBL EON G2 pretty much beats the snot out of other brands for this one reason besides sound quality : They have the heat sinks built into the ports so they do not over heat, the harder you push them the more heat they dissipate.
I know the mackie powered monitors constantly overheat.

I've never seen an SX-300 overheat, but then again it's not a powered speaker so why would it?

And the Mackies only overheat if you block the fins,  by laying it on it's side as a monitor for instance.  When used any other way it's fine.

--
Rob
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 02:04:12 PM »

Ive never had troubles with the SRm450's thermaling out when I use them as monitors.
Not all change is good change.

Dan Timon

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 04:34:44 PM »

Harford Sound wrote on Sun, 09 January 2005 14:04

Ive never had troubles with the SRm450's thermaling out when I use them as monitors.

Don't feel too left out-you will someday!  Twisted Evil

(I still like them, though.)

Regards,

Dan Timon

Nick S.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 03:49:14 AM »

Don't know about the EV SX300, but I can tell you the EONs can take a terrible beating (flashback to a EON tumbling off a lorry down a main road...)

Weogo Reed

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 10:28:53 PM »

Hi John,

The EONs and SX boxes are both quite durable.

The EON has wider dispersion and the EV narrower.
What kind of dispersion do you need?

I generally prefer the sound of a 12" crossing to a 1", over a 15" to a 1".

Good health,  Weogo

Simon Tucker

• http://www.matrixproductions.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 10:07:12 AM »

Hi John,

I`ve used both Sx300`s and JBL Eons - I personally prefer the EV`s.

I`d say that if they were to be used with subs, I`d go with EV`s, but just as standalone speakers probably the Eons, to get the low end benefit of the 15".

The Eons were Ok, but I personally preferred vocal sounds (most important with the work they were used for) to be better with the Ev`s.

As far as durabitlity, I`ve seen some worse off Eons than I have Sx`s.

This is just my opinion, others may vary.

Simon

Alan Dove

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 12:34:09 PM »

Hi guys,

JBL - sound great, but tricky recone (due to driver chasis being part of the box)

SX300 - a good take on the classic s200

Mackie 450 - rubbish, rubbish drivers, odd voice.

Alan.
sinking mic stands

Blake Courtney

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 09:40:25 PM »

I have installed many of the sx300 (actually sx300pi) and continue to be amazed by them. I am using 6 of them at one outdoor venue powered by a macrotech 5000! The output is amazing for such a small box and the sound quality is too. One note. I haven't actually blown any woofers the tisel leads have shorted out either due to overcurrent or mechanical stress. but thats an easy fix. The horns did get blown once but that was done by an idiot dj/ mc managing to get his wireless mic directly in front of the speakers and continuing to stand there as the feedback deafend the crowd and cooked the tweeters. But other than that they get the crap beaten out of them and the keep on going.  SIDE NOTE: I also have several of the mackie srm450's and they can overheat no matter what position they are in. My cure was to bracket 4in fans to the back of them. Problem solved.

Dylan Shepherd

• http://www.ecap.net.au
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 04:15:57 PM »

Com'on guys........

Really pull the cloth out of your ears....

The JBL EON G2 sound like shit, the top end is doing way to many wierd things....Yet the JBL EON G1 (Grey) is a nice box for acoustic guitars...

The EV SX300 is also a "good" box. They use the same horn driver as a Turbo Flash/Flood High. They do funny things around the 80hz due to the fly points blowing alot of air, make sure you keep the little plastic caps for them ;. The Horns also are quite harsh at 8k. Overall good box for vocals and distriubted systems.

The Mackie SRM450 is the best contender of the lot, Sweet vocal system Nice fat bottom end, Big enough amp to drive a box twice the size, and none of this mixer and amp and guitar input shit on the back, just in/out and gain! I have never had one overheat and ive been using ten of them in 40 deg (c) heat in Australia.

My Pref:
1. Mackie SRM450
2. EV SX300
3. JBL EON G2 - Would rather it be acoustic

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 06:23:28 PM »

Quote:

The Mackie SRM450 is the best contender of the lot, Sweet vocal system Nice fat bottom end, Big enough amp to drive a box twice the size, and none of this mixer and amp and guitar input shit on the back, just in/out and gain! I have never had one overheat and ive been using ten of them in 40 deg (c) heat in Australia.

You really think that? I think the new SRM450's suck. They use cheap drivers and the highs are very harsh. Now, if you are talking about the older 450s, then I can agree. The older boxes made in Italy sound great. Just like you describe them. But the new ones... I'd rather have a JBL eon.
Not all change is good change.

Rod Carbaugh

• http://www.damariscarbaugh.com
Re: JBL EON vs. EV SX300..EV Sx360a
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 09:11:48 PM »

Interesting threads here, but there's a little apples and oranges going on.  Why not compare the powered Eon with the powered Sx360a?  I use six at church, and they sound really good with a little EQ.  They are the only powered boxes I could find with a narrow (65 degree) horn.  They work great as monitors, only 35 pounds, built solidly, and I haven't had a minute of problem with them.  They are bi-amped with 350/150watts and the 12" goes so low I have to roll it off significantly to keep my subs clean.

Dylan Shepherd

• http://www.ecap.net.au
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 01:40:12 AM »

I was not aware that they 450s used to be maid in italy and now there made elsewhere, The ones i have are about 4 years old and i love them to bits, a very very sweet box.

Now about those mackie subs......They just need to make a decent sub to sit under the 450, im not really impressed with the SW 15 or 18 for that matter.

I think a Dual 12" Slam sub might do the trick, self powered, good drivers which can go quite low.

I cant say ive had any experience with the EV SX360, but another powered box i dont mind is the RCF Art300A, nice when your in the right mood, if you get what im saying....

Over and Out

Rod Carbaugh

• http://www.damariscarbaugh.com
Re: JBL EON vs. EV SX300--Yorkville sub
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 07:40:30 AM »

Decent subs under Mackie SRM450 or the like...
I discovered the Yorkville LS800P powered single 18" sub.  It is amazing!  It has 1500w of power, front loaded horn, and goes way deeper than my former dual 15" cabinets.  And the best part is it goes for well under $1000 USD.  Wheels and handles make it easy to move, despite its 143 pounds.  I used one with a live band and 400 seats and it was more than enough, even though I usually use two in that room.  Built in crossover, 50Hz EQ boost/cut knob, in, out and mono mix input to feed stereo sources... great box!  Plays circles around the JBL powered single 18!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.