ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Changing  (Read 2893 times)

Kevin Maxwell AKA TheMAXX

Color Changing
« on: August 10, 2004, 04:56:35 PM »

I have been looking into color changers of all sorts. My main usage is in a church (very contemporary service). Leaving out some detail. My basic question is if I were to use 3 lights. For this discussion lets say I am using Source 4 pars. If each light had a gel or Roundel (sp?) red in #1 green in #2 and blue in #3 and they were all very close together and all aimed at the same area. By changing the intensity between the pars can I get the same basic effect of color mixing?

This is sort of a back/side lighting position due to the shape of the church. I should have 9 dimmer circuits per side available to me to do this. I am looking for this as back/top light.

Is this a reasonably priced way to get some color changing capability? I know repeatability may be a bit challenging. But I could save a bunch of presets into the console.
Kevin Maxwell
Freelance Audio Eng. QBE

Rick Byers

• http://www.lost-dogs.info
Re: Color Changing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 09:32:10 AM »

I think this would work, after a fashion, but each lamp will have it's own spill and that spill will the the original colour.

In the UK there is a lighting company called NJD (Don't know if they export to the States).  They have a fixture called a Spectre which is a colour changer (3 di chroic lenses and a controller).  I have a pair of these and binned all my par cans as the DMX control over these was great!! They replaced 8 par cans and fit in a case the size of 1/3 of one of the old par can cases!!  

Just follow http://www.njd.co.uk/njd/njdweb.htm and look for Spectre.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 12:10:59 PM »

How much do they cost over there?
Kevin Maxwell
Freelance Audio Eng. QBE

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 03:36:53 PM »

There is also a unit by chauvet called the stage wash. It is 1500 watts with barn doors. DMX IT is exactly what you are looking for and they are just under $500can each. It it a good equivalent for the S4's cause it will put out the same light.

index.php/fa/398/0/
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

Chris_Rodman

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 12:53:39 AM »

Hey TheMAXX,

Elation makes a color changing PAR can for the States that is DMX controlled.  I've got these on my checklist to purchase in the near future.  I've done some research and for their price, they look to be a good little fixture.  You can check it out here--> http://www.elationlighting.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=1 077&cat=Stage%20Lighting .  If you are interested, email me offline at Christopher.rodman@gmail.com and I will give you my distributor (they are probably the lowest priced around).

Just my $.02

--Chris
Southeast Chrisitan Church
Volunteer Lighting Director
WholeHog III Programmer

Simon-ETEC

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 02:29:49 AM »

Hi,

We’ve used something very similar in the past, (basically clusters of three par cans with primary gels) to light the roof space of a huge aircraft hanger sized venue, basically the venue was too large (or the budget too small!) to hire in all the colour changers we would have needed to light the roof up). Overall it worked quite well. Its worth noting that the further away the surface your lighting, and the wider the more diffuse the beam the better the effect, (might be better for shorter distances with a diffusion filter?).

Anyway if you’ve got the lights spare it might be worth gel’ing some of them up and giving it a go?

Si

Will Sanders

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 09:18:14 AM »

I have seen the Chauvet Stage Wash for as low as $250.  A good place to check out is www.centerstagelighting.com.  They may have it for even less than that.  Also, Chauvet is coming out with a new Stage Wash effect.  This one uses three 300 watt lamps instead of three 500 watt lamps.  Go to Chauvet's website and look under theatrical lighting.  I have seen this light advertised for around $180.

Will S.

Rick Byers

• http://www.lost-dogs.info
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 10:26:44 AM »

In the Uk they do a 2 color changer pack, with case and controller for about

Thanks!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 08:30:01 PM »

Thank you for the help and recommendations. I will have to do some experimenting (playing around) and see what I can do with what I have.  
Kevin Maxwell
Freelance Audio Eng. QBE

Follow up
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 03:34:28 PM »

It Worked. At least a variation of what I was planning worked.

We had a few 3 circuit 12 lamp boarder lights not being used for anything so I took 3 of them and put in red, green and blue gels. I set these at the back of our stage (light colored wall and off white ceiling in this recessed stage area). They are on the ground shooting toward the wall and up. I can get a nice variety of colors. At the bottom of the wall near the light you can see a little bit of the separate colors, but it adds a nice effect. So I am using this as sort of a cyc light – color changer.

I added a bunch of different looks (color combinations) that can be recalled on our control station. They can recall 24 different scenes from the station in the booth. Or they can do their own color mixing on the lighting console. For the Sunday morning services (traditional and contemporary) they usually just recall the presets on the control station. The evening (young adults) service uses the lighting console.  
Kevin Maxwell
Freelance Audio Eng. QBE
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.