ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speaking of needing a new console...  (Read 3081 times)

Mike Babcock

speaking of needing a new console...
« on: November 10, 2004, 09:12:47 PM »

Hey guys/girls

I need a new console. I would like something in the price range of the Pearl (give or take a few grand or more if it fits the needs), but anything other than the pearl or other offerings from that company. Short story even shorter, I have been personally and professionally offended by management at Avo and wish to take my business elsewhere, most likely an isolated incident but it really rubbed me the wrong way. The Pearl really does what I need, but after my issues with it and the company, I no longer have faith with them. The problem is I have not looked seriously at any 'newer' lighting console in the past 4 years and have little knowlege where to start looking (more squeek than squint), so here's what I need it to do:
1. Meet rider needs of major touring acts.
2. Run conventionals as easily as it will run movers
3. Reliability and after sale service is pretty important

We mainly send out 120k rigs with specials, rock 'n roll style, very little theatrical. Maybe a couple theatrical shows a year. In our market, most promoters wish to save money and opt away from movers, though we occassionally need them and therefore need the control for it. I do like having a lot of channel faders(48 or more), but my lighting staff and myself could get used to just about anything.

So my open ended question is, what's out there that will meet my needs? It doesn't have to be new, but it would have to work.

Mike

PS, I did wade through the threads and did not see this question pop up, though the one right below this one is close but more theater oriented.
http://www.themonitorguy.com/venue
Now with over 1000 venues!!!!!

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
Re: speaking of needing a new console...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 09:58:41 PM »

For boards with lots of faders look at:

Celco has the Pathfinder and Explorer consoles that have a lot of faders. They have a good reputation in the industry and their older "Gold" series consoles were the industry standard for years.

Zero88 has the Frog consoles that would fit the bill. The leapfrog has 48 faders and the Bull Frog has 96.  Both are rider friendly, and are easy to use and program

ETC has the Express line that offers lots of faders. They have models in 24/48, 48/96, and 72/144.  The also have the Insight 3 console with lots of faders (108 of em!).

Leprecon has the LP-3000 console that comes in a 48/96 or 72/144 versions!

All the consoles above would be great for live conventionals, as well as movers.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 10:43:47 PM »

ETC Express line is not the way to go.  Expression 3? maybe, but I consider ETC more a theatrical company.

I was impressed by the ease of use of the Leprecon 3000, but it is a BIG console.

I don't remember if the various Flying Pig systems boards (such as the Hog 500 and Whole Hog) had many faders, but they are reasonably well accepted.

Mike Babcock

Clarification
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 11:11:47 PM »

Hello everyone, again...

The amount of channel faders is really not a huge issue for me, but it is a plus. Functionallity, ease of use (programming and playing back), reliability and industry acceptance is what I need. I can get used to less faders as long as it is easy to find the pars and fixtures without searching through numerous pages to find them.

I have looked at the Hog series and that is a huge possibility, though I'm not quite sure which one best fits me. The Hog II was just asked for, and when told one was not locally available we were asked for a 1000. So that might be a good route. The Bullfrog or Leapfrog certainly looks like it'll work as well.

Thanks so far Craig and Rob...

Mike
http://www.themonitorguy.com/venue
Now with over 1000 venues!!!!!

khillstrom

Re: Clarification
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 11:46:09 PM »

I might suggest the new Martin Maxxyz console.  although I believe the pricing structure is slightly higher than that of the Hog console series, the Maxxyz is one smoking console.  It utilizes touch screen controls for ease of use, and is the programmers dream for intelligent lighting.  If you are sold on the sliders, you can add an additional "control wing" of sliders.  You can of course label the sliders via lcd windows above each slider.  I saw a demo of this console, I would have to say that it appears to be one of the easiest, most user friendly consoles that I have seen.

You should check it out on Martin's website.

- Kris

Brent Frison

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 06:12:16 PM »

I would recommend the Hog or the Grand MA.  They are flexible enough to fit your requirements (more than one way to get your look).
I would NOT recommend the Frog series of consoles or the lower end ETC for the size of rig that is sent out.  The Frogs are especially frustrating in their syntax and limitations.

Johan Molin

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 10:57:14 AM »

Avolites pearl 2004 god price and realy rider friendly and it dosent get much more rong n roll in a moderate size console

G. Hoffman

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 05:55:08 AM »

Well, I learned movers on a Hog (I know, I know, I am spoiled), so I certainly find them easy to program.  The Grand Ma is quite popular around here, these days, too.

The Hog 1000 has eight playback masters, the 500 has 8.  The Hog III has ten, but it can be expanded.  I have not, as of yet, spent much time on the Grand MA.  Next month, on that one.

Gabriel

Surround

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 10:26:26 AM »

1.How much light fixtures you have got? - 100 ,200 or 300 or more
2.It also depends how much you want to "spend" on this console..

After knowing how much fixture you got to control i can tell you which console will fit u.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.