ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: qsc plx amps  (Read 9976 times)

Gareth James

Re: qsc plx amps
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 08:12:25 AM »

um, i just had a look on the qsc website and on the rear view pic of the 1850HD the label says bridge mode: 8ohm min  Confused

Does this mean i wont be able to use it 4ohm or is the label wrong?

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 10:32:16 AM »

kaisersoze wrote on Mon, 27 December 2004 07:12

um, i just had a look on the qsc website and on the rear view pic of the 1850HD the label says bridge mode: 8ohm min  Confused

Does this mean i wont be able to use it 4ohm or is the label wrong?

I can't speak for QSC but I have seen similar cases where the agency testing ignores the owner's manual (which often doesn't exist at the time of testing) and is performed based on rear panel marking, while the product is offered for market use at the lower impedance. This is probably questionable, but I have seen it before.

In general you will get better life and reliability by not loading down "any" amp to 2 Ohms/ch. If you are planning to ride the amp hard and put it away wet, and maybe replace/upgrade after a few years, have at it.

I would also look to the owner's manual for clarification. If the owner's manual is the same as the backplate it's probably right. If they don't agree you should be able to get definitive clarification from QSC (they are a few times zones further away if they are working this week).

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Mr.Nightro

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 10:34:52 AM »

I am not sure where you where looking but if you go to the spec charts for the RMX series (on the QSC website) you would see that they have the RMX 1850HD rated at 1,800 watts in 4 ohms bridged. This amp was designed to & will handle the 4 ohm load easy all night as long as you stay out of the red, you CAN'T go wrong when you go with QSC. This was quoted directly from the QSC spec sheet "The RMX 1850HD provides improved thermal performance that gives you higher continuous power in 2-ohms stereo or 4-ohms bridged applications (a RMX 1850HD exclusive!)"

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 01:39:32 PM »

Why not just jump up to the RMX 2450?  For the same weight as an 1850 and only about $100 bucks more, you get 1500w Bridged at 8 and 2400w bridged at 4.  I recently switched my sub amps over to 2450s. I'm using them on one system as bridged mono into 4 Ohms and on another system  as bridged mono into 8 Ohms with no problems.  The amps are cruising!

I have also used CX1102 (the install version of the PLX 3402) amps for subs at 4 ohms bridged with no problems, and some gigs were out here in the desert with ambient temps around 110 deg!  I recently turned all my CX1102 amps into mid amps and use the RMX 2450s exclusively on subs!  They are a little heavy, but then again I grew up moving old Peavey CS800s (I think they weighed about 3 pounds per watt) and Crown DC300s so a 2450 is not that bad to my old back!

Craig

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 02:22:43 PM »

AFAIK the 1850 is just a 2450 running at a lower rail voltage to deliver output under heavy load for more time (higher duty cycle). The 2450 will deliver more peak power but for less time than an 1850 under similar conditions.

If your application is not overly demanding the 2450 may be a fine choice, the 1850 will be a little better choice for difficult applications.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Chris Van Duker

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 09:54:18 PM »

If you're looking at PLX amps for driving the LABsubs, you might want to look at the 2402. In addition to the couple extra dB of output, it actually draws a bit less power than the 1602 at 2ohms stereo (equiv. to 4 ohm bridged), 1/8 power. The 2402 is the lowest powered amp in the line to use Class H, which reduces both power consumption and heat.

-Chris

Gareth James

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 11:46:23 AM »

Thanks for everyones replies, think im gonna go with the RMX1850HD in the end, it sounds like a solid amp, which is exactly what i need. Cheers Very Happy

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk
how do they do it so cheap? (was Re: qsc plx amps)
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2004, 02:18:14 PM »

had been thinking of getting one big amp to power four LABs (like a Crest PRO8200) but just found new QSC 1850HDs for $500 inc free shipping (although they may charge something for UK delivery).  With the exchange rate as it is at the moment I will end up spending less on the amps than I did on the drivers Smile  Thought I would be spending twice as much for some decent amps - what an xmas present!

Phil

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk
Re: how do they do it so cheap? (was Re: qsc plx amps)
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 12:29:03 PM »

forgot that US uses different voltage to UK Sad

The best price on a UK 240V model I have found is

John Sincavage

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 02:37:16 PM »

Snow,
Check out the ce4000 by crown it accepts any voltage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.