ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: qsc plx amps  (Read 8041 times)

Paul Magro

• http://www.valleysound.net
Re: qsc plx amps
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 09:26:52 pm »

I haven't read all the replies but will say that if you run the PLX into clip, it shuts down for a few seconds and then it kicks right back in.  As long as you don't do this it will run fine, but I cannot say if it will thermal out with such a load, in which the same thing will happen.  I had all my gear out except for a PLX 1602 and I ran it bridged into a 2 ohm load(two 2x15 subs) and after I set it so it wouldn't clip, it ran all night without a problem.  I'm not advocating this kind of use, but I was hooking up some friends for free and it was a good way to push the limits of the amp just to see what would really happen.
Paul Magro
Valley Sound
http://www.ValleySound.net

Chris Van Duker

Re: qsc plx amps
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 04:06:33 pm »

Quote:

I haven't read all the replies but will say that if you run the PLX into clip, it shuts down for a few seconds and then it kicks right back in. As long as you don't do this it will run fine, but I cannot say if it will thermal out with such a load, in which the same thing will happen. I had all my gear out except for a PLX 1602 and I ran it bridged into a 2 ohm load(two 2x15 subs) and after I set it so it wouldn't clip, it ran all night without a problem. I'm not advocating this kind of use, but I was hooking up some friends for free and it was a good way to push the limits of the amp just to see what would really happen.

I think what you may have been seeing was the line voltage dipping so far that the amp reset itself. I've seen PLX amps go deep into clipping into a minimum impedance load without shutting down like that -- though I don't recommend doing that very often.

-Chris Van Duker
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.