ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry, another "new" subwoofer design...but this ones built already!  (Read 4407 times)

Gareth James

Actually its been built for over a year, but undergoing some changes (new drivers) after crimbo.

Hi folks, my names gaz, been reading the site for a year or more now but not posted yet. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, the basic design was using dual 15's Eminence Kappa 15 Pro LF's originally but im gonna be fitting it out with Omega 18's in the new year. The internal design is similar to the old F2B cabs if anyone can remember that (nope?...just me then), except without the fold. I will get a pic up soon as i have time, both of a crosssection of the design, and if i can get my mates digital camera of the completed sub.

I started to design this horn after looking into horn loaded subs, id heard a friends F2 (have a lot more subs since then but id still say F2B's sound mint). The prototype (of which there will hopefully be more soon - unless i decide to build my WSX ripoffs) originally had RCL drivers in it (who?) but the predicted response from hornresp is unnervingly close to the actual response from the prototype.

As i was an acoustics student at Salford Uni, UK i got to test it in an anechoic chamber (not a big one but big enough to give an idea) as well as outdoors and in practical use. Im actually not quite sure how to correctly model the horn in hornresp, once you see the design hopefully you might know what im talking about. But after fiddling with a few settings i have worked out a way which produces similar results to the actual test measurements, kinda like reverse engineering.

The response predicts a peak in the 125-160hz region of some 3-4dB over average 40-200hz response although in test listening the reponse seems flatter, ie there is no noticeable peak. The sound seems great to me, effortless lows and "punchiness" where punchiness lies, ie not just a great wallop of midbass distortion, with well damped excursion to 40hz.

The dimensions are a little strange but bear with,

42.25" H
37"    D
23"    W

Horn length 138cm
its a splitting design halfway down the length.

Im currently debating with myself whether to mod it by using the plenty of space in the rear chamber to create a delay line to use the rear frequencies in phase with front and further damp excursions and possibly extend or just boost response in the low end.

Anyway, i think ive rambled on for long enough for a first post, will post pics real soon.

Update: Heres a simple diagram of the internal layout, not really to scale or anything Confused

[x]

Re: Sorry, another "new" subwoofer design...but this ones built already!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 08:05:36 AM »

It sounds cool. Actually, it sounds like what my V-2 design was supposed to be, though yours is a lot bigger and extends deeper. My V-2 design (56-200 Hz) was going to be able to be supplemented by a horn subwoofer (27-60 Hz). I'd like to see some pics or CAD drawings of your enclosure's internal layout. Or, if you just want to draw it in MS Paint and put it up here, that would be fine, too.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

tdsje

• http://www.lospols.nl
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 04:39:30 AM »

It's just like an Bandpasshorn with 2 huge chambers.
Labhorns! Powered by Chevin and processed by DBX

Gareth James

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 06:47:32 AM »

I suppose it is kinda, i just designed it this way cos its easy to build and theres plenty of space for upgrading the drivers. I designed it so one day it could take two 21" PD2150.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.