ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adire 12" driver with XBL technology for Lab Sub  (Read 2930 times)

Steve Shafer

Adire 12" driver with XBL technology for Lab Sub
« on: December 17, 2004, 02:01:18 PM »

I know this subject has been batted around a bit before, but this company and this driver technology could make for a significanly improved Lab Sub driver.  

If i am not mistaken, Adire has most of their drivers made by TC Sounds.

If Adire only needs an order of twelve to make a run of a new driver, has anyone had them build up some Lab Drivers? Mark Seaton mentioned that their driver with the XBL2 technology would make for a promising upgrade driver.

Any one know how much Adire would charge for such a driver??

I have heard of people using the Ciare 12.00 SW which now has an xmax of 13mm.  However, the Fs of the Ciare is in the fourty or high thirty range.  Even though Fs is not the most crucial spec in a horn loaded driver, it seems that it would have to affect the Lab Sub performance in at least one or more areas.

just learning

thanks

steves

michiel

Re: Adire 12" driver with XBL technology for Lab Sub
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 02:51:26 PM »

The ciare is a total diffrent driver compared to the lab12. The ciare asks for a verry small throat, otherwise the respone wont be flat. The labhorn dont have this kind of throat.

Qms LAB: 13.3
VAS LAB: 125

Qms ciare: 7
VAS ciare: 32

Mark Seaton

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 03:33:51 PM »

Stevesb65 wrote on Fri, 17 December 2004 13:01

I know this subject has been batted around a bit before, but this company and this driver technology could make for a significanly improved Lab Sub driver.  

If i am not mistaken, Adire has most of their drivers made by TC Sounds.

If Adire only needs an order of twelve to make a run of a new driver, has anyone had them build up some Lab Drivers? Mark Seaton mentioned that their driver with the XBL2 technology would make for a promising upgrade driver.

It is actually a separate, partnered company with Adire, called CAC which is being set up to handle everything from very small to very large quantity driver buildup.  From what I have heard, it will be February before they are ready to start building products for new clients as CES has them busy and they are still organizing and setting up.  My understanding is that costs could be quite resonable.  The catch of course will be a matter of available materials.  If you are talking about relatively stock parts which are easy to fabricate, then it may not be too costly, but I wouldn't expect someone to tool up a new cone and surround for you at no charge.

I expect they will do well in serving a niche in the market as well as larger segements.  They are one of a few sources I had in mind for an improved driver.
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

[x]

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 03:38:50 PM »

Actually, Adire drivers come from a variety of sources, but none of them come from TC Sounds. Their Shiva, Tumult, and Maelstrom are Eminence products, as is the DPL12 (which we already know would work in the LAB with a minimum of tweaking). Their Brahma and Tumult and Sadhara drivers come from Destijl Engineering, which was one of the earliest XBL^2 licensees. Stryke Audio had several drivers that were sourced from TC Sounds and Lambda Acoustics. Now known as AE Speakers, they build the full line of driver models that used to be built by the now-defunct Lambda Acoustics, and are developing a linear-BL technology of their own.

Addendum: My stuff was all ased on hearsay, etc. Mr. Seaton's analysis as an industry insider is more valid than my observation.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

blades976

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 10:57:13 PM »

Adire is in the process of setting up a factory in South America and teaming up with a company down there.  DW says a huge upswing in inventory and designs is around the corner.  Hopefully by the middle of next year some new goodies will come out suitable for pro   sound use without breaking the bank.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.