ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound System for Small Storefront  (Read 2989 times)

ssmith579

Sound System for Small Storefront
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:44:48 pm »

I need to install a sound system for a small storefront.  The space is about 1300 sq ft.  I'm mainly looking for background music and to drown out the sounds from refrigerator compressors.  My budget is about $1000.  One contractor recommended Speakercraft  BB50 amp and 6.1DT speakers.  Trying to research them but haven't found much info.  Any suggestions on a good system?

Thanks,
Steve

Karl P(eterson)

Re: Sound System for Small Storefront
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 01:02:40 pm »

For a higher quality install I would recommend maybe some Ev EVID's (4.2 or 6.2 depending on output needs) with 70v input and one of the QSC/ISA amps with built in transformer. Add transports as needed. For an even higher quality / completely built in look use some Community CLOUDs /w 70v. For a cheaper install you can use some cheapie parts express 70v in cielings. All of these could be powered off some ISA series (Pick the correct one for your need). Throw in your transport and off you go.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

ssmith579

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 07:15:12 pm »

Thanks for the info Karl.  What would be the advantage of installing a 70V system?  Is it just that I can add more speakers to the same amplifier?  

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 12:51:23 am »

Yes, assuming the system is for background and/or paging type applications, I feel it is easier to get consistent sound with 70v systems using different wattage taps (assuming there was smart design and placement. 70v systems in my mind also equate to a greater value with fewer wire runs, fewer amps, fewer of many things.

Of course if we were doing more than simple background, paging, or there is some other outstanding requirement, I would probably be inclined to suggest you look into something else altogether.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 08:34:09 pm »

That Speakercraft stuff is aimed at the home audio market and is probably way overpriced. Sounds like this "contractor" is a home audio guy and probably knows nothing about commercial work. I once saw one of these guys install stereo with ceiling speakers and over 8000 watts (no, that's not a typo) of amps for background music in a dentists office! Shocked

I would check out JBL Control Series ceiling speakers or if you want to go dirt cheap go to Atlas Sound and get 8" speakers with ceiling baffles. The good ones (look at the low end spec and weight of the transformer, beware of the cheap off shore junk with tiny transformers and speakers with no low end.) will actually sound pretty good for background especially if you put them in the ceiling without a backbox.  These come packaged which means they are assembled complete with transformers for 70 volts. Then, if you have a hung ceiling just cut a hole and use a tile bridge above to mount it and keep the tile from sagging. Space them no more than 12 feet for normal ceiling heights. Don't skimp on the number of speakers.

Good enough for Target or CVS and millions of other fine stores and good enough for what you want to do. Very Happy

-Hal
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.