ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Preview of the BHFProfessional V-2  (Read 8223 times)

[x]

Preview of the BHFProfessional V-2
« on: December 10, 2004, 02:01:43 PM »

[x]
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

fernand

Re: Preview of the BHFProfessional V-2
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 02:21:08 PM »

Just a question: does the Crusher peforms as simulated ? How does it sounds ?

Al Limberg

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 03:00:13 PM »

You know, I find it interesting that even someone of Tom Danley's stature in this industry went ahead and had an actual working 'mule' of the LabSub to measure and compare to his software predictions.  Not only that, he also 'went to the trouble' of having Eminence build not just one, but two different proto-types of the LAB12 to assure the performance he and we as a group were looking for.  Frankly, until I see some sawdust tracked across all these drawings and predictions, I will continue to consider them as nothing more than the 'vaporware' they currently are.

JMHO,
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Walt de Jong

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 05:25:06 PM »

Hello BHF,

Al is correct. You should build a Crusher yourself. I developed the Punisher and build the first prototype myself. You want to be sure that it does what your simulations tell you AND other things such as distortion, how is actually sounds and if there are no ripping cones.

I don't think many people will build a Crusher until a prototype is tested. Same for your other horn designs.

Best regards,

Walt

Roy N.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 05:28:57 PM »

Rolling Eyes Hi BPH,
I have a couple of sheets of 4X8 3/4" ply, I'll build a V-2 cab and have someone here in NY evaluate it. Post the plans if cad the better. I am also interested in your Crusher if you can have someone cad the plans, I was just going to redraw it but it would be better if you can have a clearer plan, would help alot, thanks!

[x]

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 05:44:57 PM »

[x]
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

[x]

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 05:51:28 PM »

[x]

[x]

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 06:26:33 PM »

[x]

Dave Rickard

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 06:33:12 PM »

Rory,

I gotta agree with Al (& Walt) here.  I said it first in your Crusher thread, and I'll repeat here:

Build and test first, brag second!

Your personal situation does *not* change anything Al or I said.  You know that.  I'm sure Purdue has a great engineering program, but puffing about it here is irrelevant, and a bit silly.  When you have 15 years of experience under your belt and you take a zealous sophomore engineering student intern under your wing, you'll know exactly what I mean.  For further clarification:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=sophomore&sea rchmode=none

You may choose to argue or be offended by this, but that will not change a thing, either.  BTW, Al's response did not transform this thread into a sophomoric argument.  He's been around here for years, and his posts speak for themselves.  You would do well to read them here, and in the archives.  Just see these posts for what they are: suggestions from old guys.

This is not the first time you've been told this...

Peace,
Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Johan Rademakers

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 08:03:57 PM »

Quote:

One enclosure has a +/-3dB response of 55-330 Hz, with a slight +3dB rise near 200 Hz

Most basshorns out there have a pretty good response up to at least 200 Hz. The only problem is that most basshorns also don't sound to well above, let's say 120 Hz.

And that's the biggest problem with simulating as well. Hornresp might give you a pretty good idea what kinda things you can and can't expect, in terms of response, SPL, cone excursion, etc.. But it won't tell you much about "the sound" the cab has. Or some hidden surprises you might encounter. The program will let you get away with a compression factor of 5:1, the speaker might not.

I have (and will) build most of my own designs as prototypes, some get several versions, all at least get tweaked. Some did better then I expected, some worse. One cab had a very nice simulated response, a very disappointing response measurement, but a great sound. The simulation couldn't tell me, the measurement sure didn't. The prototype did.

Truth is that every person on this forum can use Horn resp well enough in a month orso to design a pretty good theoretical horn.
But a horn designed by a sound engineer can turn out to be a complete joke. While a dummy could hit the jackpot.

Mvg Johan
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.