ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Crusher Arrives!  (Read 17362 times)

[x]

The Crusher Arrives!
« on: December 07, 2004, 12:00:26 AM »

Introducing the BHFProfessional BH10 "Crusher" Bass Horn. This horn is designed for demanding professional audio applications where high output and stability at high power are desired, but where a design like the LABHorn may be too large and difficult to transport. The Crusher, like the LABHorn, is one of a new breed of subwoofers that features horn loading of a high-excursion subwoofer driver. This horn is designed to get the best performance when used with the Eminence HL-10A driver, which is very similar in design and construction to the Eminence Lab12 driver. The Crusher horn has flat response to 55 Hz when used in pairs, and flat response to 42 Hz when used in stacks of 4 or more. The design is very simple to build. If you can use a table saw and a jigsaw, you can build the Crusher. It has an average sensitivity, when 4 enclosures are used, of 108dB 1w/1m. The best thing about the Crusher is that it does all this while still keeping a 31"x16" frontal profile. This allows  a very compact enclosure that can be the building block for big bass arrays using 2, 4, 6, or even 8 enclosures. Another advantage of my design is its ability to achieve acceptable results with only two boxes per side, making it unnecessary to transport 8 total enclosures for most smaller applications. The design currently exists as a set of detailed, neatly hand-drawn drawings, but if a person trained in AutoCad, etc. would be willing to volunteer their time, we could have a precise computer model. The results of this enclosure are validated by computer simulations through Hornresp. External dimensions are 31.5" tall, 16.5" wide, and 36.75" deep, without casters. You can add a PA cabinet handle to the rear panel to simplify stacking. I am making the plans for this horn available free of charge, making it the first freely-available HL-10 horn and a well-performing, smaller alternative to the LABHorn where LABs are not practical due to their size and weight.

Known Issues: There's a possibility that the dimensions that define the size and shape of the driver access cover are incorrect. I recommend  assembling the internal structure, and then placing it on its side on one of the side panels, and then tracing the cutout for the access panel in that way. There's also the possibility that there needs to be extra bracing on the section of horn right after the first bend, and possibly on the section of horn that runs along the top. These would be easy changes to make yourself if you feel they are necessary, since I included the extra angles I calculated in the design as reference dimensions. Or, if you want me to, I could make the revision to the plans.

Figure 1 : Response curve for two Crushers, stacked, in 2 pi space.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

[x]

Re: The Crusher Arrives!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 12:01:30 AM »

Figure 2: Response curve for Four Crushers, ground stacked, 2 Pi space.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

[x]

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 12:02:12 AM »

Figure 3: Page 1 of Crusher plans

[x]

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 12:03:15 AM »

Figure 4 - Page 2 of Crusher Plans

[x]

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 12:04:20 AM »

Figure 5 - Page 3 of Crusher Plans

[x]

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 12:06:04 AM »

Figure 6 - Page 4 of Crusher Plans

[x]

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 12:06:58 AM »

Figure 7 - Page 5 of Crusher Plans

[x]

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 12:08:07 AM »

Figure 8 - Page 6 of Crusher Plans

[x]

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 12:08:35 AM »

Figure 9 - Page 7 of Crusher Plans

[x]

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 12:09:52 AM »

Oh, and by the way,

Famous last words: "I think I'll design a bass horn. How hard can it be?"

Also, you might be interested to know that John Sheerin assisted me  in optimizing my horn design. Enjoy, everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.