ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revisiting the Servodrive BT-7 with new driver technology??  (Read 2501 times)

Steve Shafer

Revisiting the Servodrive BT-7 with new driver technology??
« on: December 04, 2004, 06:37:02 PM »

While researching horn design, I happened to come across some cross sectional pictures of Tom Danley's BT-7.  It was and still is a very impressive subwoofer!!

The thought came to me that given the improvements made in driver technology and increased power handleing, why not put a couple of TC Sounds 15 (neomax 15" drivers if you will) into this already proven design?  

Mark Seaton and Tom Danley may have already thought about this and found it to be impractical for a number of reasons, and I can live with that.  One of which may be the astronomical cost of having something like a neomax 15" made to take the place of the servo motor driven drivers.

Would these extra long excursion drivers be able to revitalize this box??

Steve S

Mikael Holm (the old one)

• http://Mikael Holm
Re: Revisiting the Servodrive BT-7 with new driver technology??
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 06:53:52 PM »

Stevesb65 wrote on Sun, 05 December 2004 01:37

Would these extra long excursion drivers be able to revitalize this box??

Nope. They don't have 1" p-p linear excursion, less than 1dB power compression at full rated power and extremely high BL-factor which all are essential for the kind of performance BT-7 offers.

Miffe, gearslut, independent sound engineer, small business owner

John Halliburton

Re: Revisiting the Servodrive BT-7 with new driver technology??
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 11:07:14 PM »

One of which may be the astronomical cost of having something like a neomax 15" made to take the place of the servo motor driven drivers.

Why exactly do you think using a servomotor with 2.5lbs. of Alnico V in it is more economical? ;>) I'm afraid the Servodrive product has never been cheap to make, just well built, technology pushing designs.

Best regards,

John Halliburton
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.