Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gates  (Read 2513 times)

Dawbr

• http://www.randygartnersound.com
Gates
« on: January 05, 2005, 06:23:20 PM »

Most of my system is pretty decent stuff,ie: Crest X -4 console,2 FA amps,Ashley Eq's and Protea 4.24C,3 QSC PLX amps,Lexicon,Shure,Sennheiser,Sabine,JBL etc. The weak spot is compressors and gates and I  want to upgrade what I have. I would like a good 4 channel frequency dependant gate for drums. The DBX 1074 looks nice.I've found one for under $400. But the Drawmer DS404 has HPF/LPF and looks even nicer. My question: is it worth more than twice the price? I also use an ART dual tube compressor on vocals so would like a recommendation on a good 2 channel vocal compressor too. I would like to keep them in the under $1,000  (each ) range.Thanks.

ThomasDameron

Re: Gates
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 06:45:48 PM »

This conversation has come up a lot recently, so you're going to get a bunch of "do a search" replies.  I'll be the first: Do a search! However the Dbx unit hasn't come up yet, so.....

We have one in our b-fx rack and I'm really not a big fan of it.  It gets the job done and it is rider friendly enough, but it just not my favorite.  It doesn't seem to be that quick opening and it isn't adjustable on the attack time.  The frequency key isn't as effective as I would expect (compared to our BSS gates).  Also some of the controls take a different approach than the standard (ratio instead of depth control) which trips up BE's regularly (not totally confused, just not as quick as normal).

Our A rack has BSS which is in another league in both price and performance.  I own an Aphex 105 which some other guys around here like a whole lot.  I'm not quite as big a fan, but I would prefer it over the Dbx.  Also consider either used Ds201/404s or the lower line mx stuff.  

thomas d.

Brian Adams

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 07:35:57 PM »

Have you considered a Drawmer MX40?  They seem to do a good job on drums, and don't cost much more than that DBX unit.
B.

Dawbr

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 09:15:59 PM »

td -------- I did a search and didn't get the info I was looking for.Thanks for your comments on the 1074.That's exactly the kind of info I need to know. Now,can anyone  give me the same type of info on the DS404?

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 11:08:34 PM »

Have you considered the Rane G4 digital quad gate? It's supposed to be the cat's meow, and when I dream gates, I dream it.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Dawbr

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 06:21:55 PM »

Bennet,
     no I didn't really consider the Rane for 2 reasons. Years ago I had a few pieces of Rane stuff and they didn't seem to hold up.The other reason is it's is a new unit and I like to wait untill the bugs are worked out. But if you or anyone else has one,or has used one,I'd like to hear about it.
                                                  Dawbr

ThomasDameron

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 11:53:17 PM »

I would second Bennett's Rane suggestion.  I know what you mean about their older stuff, but I think that this new digital w/ analog knobs series is a step up.  (I'm gathering that from reading what knowledgable people here have said and not on hands on experience.)

The older post I was referring to is called Drawmer recommendations I think. http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/3667/549/?SQ=ae9 72381c8a0338482df7b3742808ea5
(how do i put that in there without showing the whole address?)
I would say that if you don't mind it being 2 channels per rackspace either go with the Rane or find some used ds201's.  Otherwise go with either the mx40 for the key filters or the aphex 105 for adjustable attack time.  If those options aren't what you're looking for then you're going to have to spend more money most likely.

Thomas D.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 12:27:46 AM »

Dawbr wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 18:21

Bennett,
     no I didn't really consider the Rane for 2 reasons. Years ago I had a few pieces of Rane stuff and they didn't seem to hold up.The other reason is it's is a new unit and I like to wait untill the bugs are worked out. But if you or anyone else has one,or has used one,I'd like to hear about it.

I haven't personally used the G4 on anything outside of the very controlled situation at AES 2003. I'm going strictly on other people's opinions, which have always been glowing, and my brief experience twiddling knobs and going "yep, it gates all right".

It seems Rane has made a quality product that can withstand the road. No corners appear to have been cut. This is not an "install" product. I don't know what Rane stuff you've worked with, but this doesn't feel like much else of their's I've seen.

I'd be very surprised, however, if someone on the LAB hadn't actually used one live... anyone got hours clocked on the thing?
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 12:27:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.