ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 Way passive X-Over Design  (Read 4576 times)

Matt Orton

• Synergy Pro Audio
4 Way passive X-Over Design
« on: November 27, 2004, 04:33:12 AM »

I have a Customer with some Old Eden 4-way Cabinents.  The Crossovers are bad and so are the horn drivers.  He is Bound and determined to keep these units up and running.  

So, I'm going to replace the Horns Drivers with Selenium D210ti Titaniums.  The super Tweeters are fine and so are the 8's and all (4) 15's.  Unfortunatly, my quest for finding a 4-way X-Over that will work good in this config, has left me stranded.  Its looking like I'll have to build a set.  

The only values that i know is that the selenium horn drivers recommend a 2,000 Hz, 12 db x-over point.  That would problably work great for a 2-way cabinent but I have an 8" under the horns and a Super Tweeter on top.  Not to mention The 2 15's.  The Subs are rated at 400w each at 8 Ohms.

If anyone could give me an assist on designing such a x-over, it would be greatly appreciated.  I think a properly set up x-over would make these come alive way more than they ever sounded from Eden.  Worst Case scenario, I make them a 2-Way cabinent and just not utilize the 8's or the Super Tweets using a 2-way, 2,000hz, 12db X-over.

Thanks Much,
Matt

Deric Craig

Re: 4 Way passive X-Over Design
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 10:59:54 AM »

Hi Matt- If you know the nominal impedance of each driver and if you have 2 drivers in parallel , keep that in mind and then pick appropriate freq crossover points- you could do some calculations to solder up components for a internal passive x-over. Parts express.com and others have charts and parts to do this. Does the orig x-over have bad caps or ?? Maybe the x-over could be reworked and are you sure it is bad? (burnt up or broken?) The wattage will determine size of components (power handling)and you  could series cap the tweets for the top end of the enclosures output. What does the customer use these enclosures for? Hope this helps some   Deric

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 11:09:33 AM »

Hi Matt,

I sent you a PM (Personal Mesage) on this subject a while back. Did you get it?

If so then ignore this message.

Regards,
Too Tall
Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Tim Padrick

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 03:04:30 AM »

With the driver specs, the folks at Madisound.com can make you some.

Matt Orton

• Synergy Pro Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 09:37:32 PM »

Yes I did get It Too Tall.  Thanks so much for the info.  I talked to them about what it would take to re-build the 4 way system and the Price was just too much for them.  Not to mention I wasnt going to charge them for the labor because he is a good friend of mine.  The price in parts was way more than what the cabinents are worth and they agreed.  What I ended up doing was ordering a nice pair of 2-Way Crossovers and they actually sound better now than they did when they were new.  I'm sure properly designed 4-ways would problably be better but in this case, they are completely happy with how they sound now for the money.  If they are happy, I'm happy and I must say the 2-way config really sounds impressive.  I was Very surprized but then again its alot "easier" to get great sound out of a passive 2-way config than a passive 3 or 4 way. Thanks again and Happy Holidays everyone.

Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.