ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: more opinions about power amp selection  (Read 2075 times)

brad smith

more opinions about power amp selection
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »

Repeating this topic from the old forums and hoping for more replies from you guys on what you'd do. I only got one reply from the older forum. The suggestion was to use a 2502 per cab (tops and bottoms) What do you guys suggest????

Here's my rig

I've added two more stacks of JBL srx (4733/4719) to my rig and would like some opinions on power amp choices. Would love to sell everything and go with Itech but that's not going to happen because of $$$. Always use venue power and I don't use a distro and probably never will so that's out of the question.

Currently using 1 QSC PLX 3602 for my tops in stereo and bridging 2 QSC PLX 2502 into each sub (1 per sub). Also am using DBX 260 for processing. This is how i run 1 stack per side.

Would it be better to get another 3602 for my 2nd set of tops and get 2 rmx 4050's for each sub and run them in stereo instead of puchasing 2 more 2502's and end up having to bridge 4 amps for all of my subs? (2 3602's for 4 tops and 2 4050's for my 4 subs)

I really don't want to lose any bottom end by switching over and I've heard good things about the 4050's.

Most of my gigs I only run 1 stack per side but I'd like to start using 2 stacks per side especially outdoors.

Thanks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: more opinions about power amp selection
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »

There is an extensive thread in the Lounge/FUDforums where we hashed out a similar circumstance for a user who needed amps that made efficient use of wall power (hint- go find it).  The "B-Stock/Re-certified" I-Tech won for price, output, efficiency.  The I-Tech 8000 will replace 2 rmx 4050, weigh 27# instead of 136# and use less electricity hitting full output.  Oh, and you can get one for <$2000; the ebay today price for the 4050 is $1399... and you need 2 of them.

If you really like the PLX3602 for your tops, get another one.  Sell the 2502s and use the proceeds toward whatever sub amp(s) you buy.

Have fun, good luck.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: more opinions about power amp selection
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.