ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: simple questions, would appreciate help!!!!  (Read 3793 times)

tempa

simple questions, would appreciate help!!!!
« on: November 24, 2004, 03:15:20 PM »

I considering purchasing three of these:
http://www.sonicspeaker.com/18w.htm

and 4 of these:
http://www.sonicspeaker.com/r218sub.htm

There not that expensive and both use 600W RMS 18". My only concern is that they are both rated at 102db sensitivity. How loud would that actually be though? And how loud would my setup be?

I know that adding more speakers to your systems adds clarity, but does it actually increase the overall DB rating of your setup? If so could anyone give me some details on this?

Last thing, could anyone give me some links to good 18" sub+cabinet supplies like the ones i gave above?

Thanks millions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Limberg

Re: simple questions, would appreciate help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 04:34:22 PM »

Hi tempa,
Sonic has been making that box for a loooong time.  It is basically what is known as a Keele design W. As a matter of fact, I have 4 of them sitting in the old barn at Too Tall's farm for the past 2 1/2 years or so - since I completed my first pair of LabSubs.  The Sonic is a reasonably well made box - decent grade of plywood (not Baltic Birch by any stretch) and rat fur covering.  When they first offered the box, I believe the upgrade option was a Gauss, then EV EVM series II then EV ProLine.  Now I suspect as Eminence has expanded their line and their power handling, the 600 watter is probably an Eminence.  The biggest problem with the design is that in standard use at one per side, they qualify as a 'one note wonder' which is to say, it is very efficient at about 62hz and not a lot else comes out.  As you build them up to an array - for instance using a 2x2 stack of four, the larger horn mouth does improve response and smooth it somewhat.  I believe they claim usable to 40hz in an array of 4 boxes.  At a sensitivity of 102db 1w/1m, you would calculate a maximum output of about 129db at 600w but that doesn't take power compression in to account.  My caution to you would be that you would need about 16 of them to compete with a single 2x2 array of LabSubs.  I can't speak for the Eminence driver, but my friendly local EV reconer and I became fast friends (your best customer tends to become your friend in any business!!)    

HTH,
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

tempa

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 05:43:55 PM »

I well appreciate your opinion, thanks! I've read alot about these LabSubs, i'm going to look further into them.

Does anyone know an alternative to these?
http://www.sonicspeaker.com/r218sub.htm

And i would still appreciate more advice from others Very Happy

Thanks!!!

JeremyW

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 10:26:10 PM »

Howdy Tempa,

What are you planning on using your subs for? Live SR? DJ? Im assuming live.... What do you want your subs to do? I am a mobile DJ, so although there are many great subs out there, not that many of them would do what I want them to do. IE play all those really low bass synths found in pop music today. I also need to keep in mind how much space I have. I don't have a transport truck or the roadies to haul around 16 subwoofers and their fullrange compainions.

Make the sub fit the situation, not the situation fit the sub.

Maybe with a little more information, someone could suggest something that'll perform the way you want.

Take care,

tempa

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 04:34:23 AM »

Yeah sorry, I thought i should of told you guys what i wanted it for. Yes you were right, I need a hefty system for DJing. Mainly drum&bass and reggae. Thanks for the help thought man Very Happy

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 05:59:48 AM »

Hi Tempa

I am making my first Lab at the moment.  Hoping to have it finished this weekend.  Where are you based?  I'm in Southampton if you want to have a look at one.  Bring some D&B with you if you want to Smile

Phil

tempa

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 03:19:52 PM »

Nice one man, Southampton is miles away from east anglia Sad Thanks for the offer though.

The Labs look amazing, i'm now considering building my setup to a 4xLabSubs and 4xDual 18" G Subs [design from speakerplans.com] Anyone got a similar system and could anyone give me any advice or tips on this setup?

Thanks!!!

JeremyW

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 05:40:35 PM »

Howdy Tempa

I wouldn't recommend running direct-radiating and horn loaded subs at the same time. Everything in the system other than the labs will need to be time-delayed to allign it properly. If you don't delay those dual 18s, you're going to encounter some nasty phase cancellations, making it seem like your system has lost a lot of power.

Personally, I would go all direct radiating; the genres of music you listed relay very heavily on precise rythms, especially the drums. The time allignment would have to be perfect between your horn-loaded subs and mid-highs.

Might I suggest looking into the Peavey QW-218, the Yorkville Elite LS1004 and the Yorkville TX9S? They are all direct radiating dual 18s that should easily do what you'd like them to.

Good luck

tempa

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 06:19:37 PM »

Thanks man! So don't the LabSubs need time delay? I'm going to do some research in the dual 18's you just said. Thanks!

Al Limberg

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 07:12:57 PM »

In a word  'horsepuckey'!  First off, when you apply delay, it is to bring the sources of the varying frequency bands into alignment.  Since the LabSub has the longest signal path, the mids and highs will need to be delayed back to the Labs, rather than the Labs delayed.  Secondly, front loaded subwoofers will require delay of the mids and highs typically as well, just not as much.  Third,if we're talking about 'precision', it seems that we would want a a very clean subwoofer.  That is one of many points on which the Lab really shines.  Check the Michigan subwoofer shootout results and you'll find the front-loaded and manifold loaded subs coming in with distortion figures on the order of 10 times that of the Lab, even when measured with significantly lower input power.  Shall we compare output below 50hz while we're at it???

'nuff said

Al  
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.