ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakout boxes (again)...  (Read 9189 times)

Deric Craig

Re: Breakout boxes (again)...
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 03:30:13 PM »

Andy - I am glad you also commented, I had typed out a more descriptive note and lost the dang thing by accident and didn't want to go back thru all of it again. So wrote a shorter version to send. Right on. I enjoy the topics, contribute when I can and appreciate the knowledge that all of you share. Wishing a good 2005 for all.         Deric

Tim Padrick

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 10:54:33 PM »

Again, the proof is in the listening.  I've done hi-fi installs where the speaker cable had to traverse heating ducts, and the cable had to be suspended from the floor because there was a noticible degredation when it was left lying on the ductwork.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 11:22:18 PM »

Could you offer specifically how the sound degraded? Perhaps some general details of the before and after that you are comparing.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 11:49:04 PM »

TimmyP wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 20:54

Again, the proof is in the listening.  I've done hi-fi installs where the speaker cable had to traverse heating ducts, and the cable had to be suspended from the floor because there was a noticible degredation when it was left lying on the ductwork.

Sounds like some kinda weird microphonic action.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Tom Young

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 02:17:42 PM »

"Again, the proof is in the listening."

Hardly.  If that was the case then directional AC and audio cables, magical dots and green sharpie on the edges of CD's *would* all be worthwhile.

"I've done hi-fi installs where the speaker cable had to traverse heating ducts, and the cable had to be suspended from the floor because there was a noticible degredation when it was left lying on the ductwork."

With all due respect; why don't you at least attempt to quantify this or otherwise back it up ?  If you were right, the entire installed audio industry would be beholding to you for enligtening us all.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 07:13:53 PM »

Again, the proof is in the listening.

Yeah, right and that's why shyster companies have a market for $50/foot speaker cable, $120 "audio grade" receptacles and all the other useless crap. They mark it up about 10,000% then suck people into thinking they have to have it.

PT Barnum said it best, "there's a sucker born every day".

I once heard of a guy who wanted his aluminum underground electrical service cable replaced with copper because it would make his (ahem) high end AV system sound better and the video clearer. At least he wanted it replaced until he found out how much it would cost.

Guess he'll just have to suffer along with the rest of us.

-Hal

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 08:57:27 PM »

It is usually not productive to argue with somebody about "what" they heard. However if some audible phenomenon is reliably repeatable a thoughtful investigation will often lead to some valid scientific explanation for the "why".

The given explanation doesn't agree with the experience of others so let's wait for more detail which may reveal the actual problem.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.