ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Intelligent" Question  (Read 2759 times)

Garth Engwall

"Intelligent" Question
« on: November 19, 2004, 03:42:28 PM »

I'm working with a church which is upgrading their theater lighting. I am fine with the conventional stuff but they want to add an intelligent effect light and I really am out of my league.

They are looking for a spot which can do gobo changes and color changes. More specifically, they want to do both spot effects on the back wall (for example, a cross) as well as spot areas on stage with light to enhance their regular lighting zones (roughly 10 foot diameter areas). Their rigging is 18 feet high from the stage. We can go front to back pretty much anywhere but my main light bar is going to be 8 feet from the front of the stage. That makes about a 24 foot throw to the middle of the stage and a little less midway up the back wall (stage is only 11 feet deep).

Their budget is apx 1,500 for this one fixture. I looked at the High-End Trackspot II. Does that seem to fit the bill? Any others you would suggest?

George Blun

Re: "Intelligent" Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 03:46:18 PM »

As I was reading your post I was thinking Track Spot, then I got to the end where you mentioned Track Spot.

I think that the Track Spot is a great solution for your needs.

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 11:39:15 AM »

I just looked at what the old Trackspot is as I haven't used them in a long time.  Only 1 replacable gobo.  If you mean TS II, that's probably got better optics since it's a newer design, and certainly a smaller footprint, and all the gobos are replacable.  If you can find a good deal on one, you may also try and look around for a used Mac 250+ or HES StudioSpot 250.  Both have user replacable gobos, and will give you more range of motion.  Having an iris would be nice, but unless you get really really lucky, you won't find anything for sale in that price range that has one.  

What about control?  Do you have a dmx board in place?  

The other thing is, if your church is broadcasting you should definitely check with the video people to make sure you get the correct color temperatures, etc.  Which probably means you'll need to triple your budget.

Nick S.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 05:56:10 PM »

I've always been fond of the Mac250+ myself...

Points to remember:
1) This sounds really obvious, but your lighting bar really has to be very secure if you're also attaching conventionals to it (as the light moves, the bar wobbles...even a slight movement can be somewhat distracting...).

2) You'll need a DMX board that can handle moving lights. A manual two scene board won't be able use moving lights, and neither will the basic computerised boards. You don't mention what board you have, but if it doesn't have a VDU you'll probably also find programming very tricky...

3) DMX - moving lights don't need dimmers, but they do need a DMX signal, so you'll either have to connect your mover into the DMX Out of your dimmers (if they have one), or use another DMX socket on your board (if it has one), or buy a splitter. Don't forget to add in the cost of the DMX cable and a DMX terminator (as well as the cost of your gobos you require).

rick

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 06:00:51 PM »

It depends on what you mean by basic computer boards. I consider an Express 24/48 pretty basic, but it has no problem with moving lights. Its not wonderful, but it works.

Rick

Nick S.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 08:51:06 AM »

Yeah, I was more thinking of boards like the Alcora, which have a basic cueing system...

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 07:49:52 PM »

The Coemar I-spot 150 or 250 have a wide angle beam something like 42 degrees but it’s a fixed beam so you don’t have iris control or any type of zoom but it will give you the wide throw you are looking for. It’s also lightweight and has great optics and colors and all the gobos are replaceable.
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

Garth Engwall

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 12:49:14 PM »

Thanks for the input. They have a conventional board but more than enough channels free to address the channel needs of the Trackspot II. They are using it for preset effects rather than a real time moving light (although technically couldn't you use a chase scene to do real time light movement?) I have told them if they want more intelligents or want this to move real time they need another specialized board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.