ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: T/S, DUMAX, and Klippel parameters. Neo issues  (Read 2747 times)

Steve Shafer

T/S, DUMAX, and Klippel parameters. Neo issues
« on: November 17, 2004, 10:48:57 AM »

Hello all:

First off, is there any advantage to using neo drivers in Sub woofers.  JBL is using thier new "dual drive" 18's in thier SRX728.  What advantages if any other than decreased weight would this driver have over say the JBL 2241 or 2242?  

On the other hand you have the Aura 1808/Neomax driver which uses neo magnets in a different configuration, and the heat build up does not seem to be a concern.  Given that the driver was developed for the Bassmaxx Subs, heat would not be much of an issue as the magnet structure and cone are visable and have lots of air circulating around them.

I can see the advantage to neo for compression drivers. However,
If the big cone neo drivers get hot don't their magnets loose thier magnetic strength?

How much are the premier OEM driver makers such as B&C,RCF, JBL, EV, TAD, and others using the new DUMAX klippel type of parameters to furhter describe a given driver's behavior in a more performance based scenario as compared to the standard T/S paremeters? Are the premier driver makers going to include more of this kind of driver performance data in thier catalogs or is this info that you get from tech support as these measurement techniques are not used as much in Pro Audio?

I would imagine that EAW, Servodrive, Meyer, and others use the DUMAX and Kimmel methods and some variations of thier own when selecting and fine tuning drivers for thier specific applications.  

I have noticed that Emminence lists what look to be some of the Dumax/Kimmel parameters. Is this true.

Just learning more as I go.  Feel free to move this topic to another section if you feel it is more appropriate.

Steve S

McJerry

• http://www.eminence.com
Re: Drivers, Neodynium and heat, and T/S and DUMAX and Himel parameters
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 04:13:41 PM »

Hello Steve,

We have been using our Klippel System for over two years now.   It has helped us a great deal.  Yes, we are starting to publish some Klippel measured data.

Thanks,

McJerry

Steve Shafer

Thanks for the reply. An additional quesiton
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 07:27:54 PM »

First off, MCJerry I gathered from your post that you work for Eminence. Thanks for stepping in on this one!  I for one like to see manufacture input and commitment to this board.  In my view it gives this board much more credibiltiy and much more use to me than other audio boards. In return when i read frank objective techincal discussions and non hyped up marketing posts from the various pro audio manufactures, it lends more credibilty to their products and to their customer service.

I make it a point to read Tom Danley and Mark Seatons posts along with Bob Lee's, Shale Leech, Chuck McGregor, Dave Howden and the others.

When I first started this post, I was hoping that some of the major driver makers such as eminence and others would pipe in on the usefulness of these parameters and their usefulness to the  DIY (Lab Sub) and the Pro box builders in general.

Thanks again to all who may post on this one, and to the moderator-feel free to move this one if you do not think it fits

Steve S

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
Re: Thanks for the reply. An additional quesiton
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 07:24:27 PM »

Klippel linearity measurements would soon weed out the nastyness from the real stuff.  THe thing is,its too revealing of linearity so not everyone will be keen on it  Laughing adire do it!

Then i guess,with this linearity info you can use a nonlinear modeling program to see what sort of distortion will happen!(I think theres one on klippels site)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.