ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Elite LS1208  (Read 24937 times)

JeremyW

Yorkville Elite LS1208
« on: November 11, 2004, 09:22:35 AM »

Howdy all,

Has anyone ever used a Yorkville Elite LS 1208? It is a horn-loaded single 18 boasting a 105dB 1w/1m eff. and a max SPL reaching 136 dB? While the specs look good and somewhat match that of a QW-218, I haven't seen any reviews on it. Hard to believe as Yorkville considers it to be the "flagship of the elite passive subwoofer line".

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2& id=152

Anyone who has had any experience or thoughts on this sub, please get back to me.

Thanks

Darren Scaresbrook

• http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mdsaudio/
Re: Yorkville Elite LS1208
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »

Looks interesting if the specs are accurate.
I'd like to see something heavier than 15mm ply though.
Darren
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mdsaudio/
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. – Andrew S. Tannenbaum

Adam Kane

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »

I had an opportunity to use two pairs of these outdoors a while ago.  Although the design is much like that of the Cerwin-Vegas, Sonics, and others...Yorkville has managed to squeeze a little nicer sound quality out of theirs (somehow).  They seemed to play quite a bit lower than other boxes of similar design (at least that's how it sounded...didn't have an RTA or anything like that).

If I had a need for a horn loaded sub and didn't need the output of a LAB, I'd probably get a few of these.  

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 11:04:12 PM »

Hi Jeremy,

I've used LS1208's before in a fixed installation (dance club) and can tell you they are Yorkville's flagship subwoofer for good reason - they are capable of serious output and also quite efficient.  Although the LS1208 might look like a Cerwin Vega, that's where the similarities end.  The LS1208 hits quite hard, went deep enough for my needs and has a rather "pleasant" sound to it (if you will).  What also makes them even more attractive is the price - at approx. $ 800 each you'd be very hard pressed to find something better in that price range.

ScottH

Darren Scaresbrook

• http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mdsaudio/
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 04:03:22 AM »

Saw the price for an ls1208 here in Australia today.
$2399au!!! Even after allowing for the exchange rate (approx .75us=$1au) we are still paying over 100% more than you guys in the states.Shocked
Several years ago a friend of mine flew to the USA, went to Meyer and bought 6 msl 3's, 8 upa's and 4 usw's. He then shipped these back to Australia. This cost substantially less than ordering them through the Australian Meyer distributor.
Sorry, getting off topic here. Just had to let the frustration out!
Darren
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mdsaudio/
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. – Andrew S. Tannenbaum

JeremyW

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 09:05:10 AM »

Ouch. However, I know what you're feeling. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and the only PA dealer around sells everything for MSRP, so my LS1208 covered in carpet is $1249.00, with the urethane finish, the price gets bumped up to $1549.00. (plus 15% sales tax)Eek!

Now of I look it up online, I can find stores selling them for $699 US. grumble grumble grumble. Given the current exchange, ($0.84CAD = $1.00 US) $699US = $836CAD. But, I would have to ship them up from Florida, and the cost of shipping some 170 lb, oversized speakers, could get kinda pricey, given the distance. Mad

Jim Mullen

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 01:29:40 PM »

I have had good results with four LS1208's used in a number of configurations.  A single LS1208 with plenty of power to it (2000w)has suprising punch from 45 to 100 hz.  Two LS1208's gets that same punch but lowers the corner to about 40 hz.  Three LS1208's together start to really put out in the 35hz plus range (estimate about 105db per one watt at 35hz, over 110db per one watt at 50 to 100hz).  Four LS1208's together, fugitaboutit, kick drum and low end seemingly forever (estimated 35hz response 108db at one watt).  And its clean low end, obviously lower distortion than dual 18 ported subs, which presents a whole different level of perceptions and impact that must be considered, but in my opinion for live sound reproduction very nice.  Shale Leech at Yorkville was helpful in providing me with info and test reponse data.

JeremyW

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 06:44:12 PM »

Howdy,

I am hearing a lot of good things about the sub, however, I can't find anything about delayed tops. Did any of you use any delay?

Jim Mullen

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 12:39:14 PM »

Jeremy, by delay tops I assume you mean mid/hi cabinets that are delayed to be time aligned with the subs.  Yorkville has a processor that, depending on which of their top boxes you use, generally sets the delay at either 10ms or 5ms.  I use Turbosound TQ440s with my LS1208s and a DBX260 processor, and based upon a SmaartLive time  alignment, with the tops stacked directly on top of the subs, at the front edge of the subs, got delay time for the 12" flush mounted speaker in the TQ440, within the 10ms range, so that is what I use if I ground stack the TQ440s on top of the LS1208's.  Depending on what speaker you use, it could vary from this of course, but if they are in phase with the LS1208's and front mounted I would guess they would also be in the 10ms range for time alignment.  Hope this helps.

Rodd Lowell

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 01:21:31 PM »

While we are on the topic of Yorkville subs, I have been looking at the Yorkville Elite LS800P.

Has anyone heard these?  Any opinions?  I am looking to use them with my Mackie 1530s for an audience of no more than 400 people.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

rcl
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.