ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Browser Back Button  (Read 8285 times)

Dietrich Sider

Re: Browser Back Button
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 10:35:16 AM »

I am definitely one of those who changed your stats - I switched to Firefox on my PC this summer and haven't looked back.

The features I really appreciate:

Tabbed Browsing
Pop-up blocker extension
Google on the Toolbar
Security - comes pre-configured to warn about or block ad-ware, spy-ware etc. When it comes across a script it doesn't like, it blocks it and notifies you.

Dietrich Sider

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
    • http://www.standingstone.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 10:46:50 AM »

To give Redmound what little credit it deserves, M$ implemented block-up blocking and additional security with XP SP2. Not that I recommend IE over Firefox, far from it. But they are feeling the heat and are trying to adapt. I'm not crazy abut Google on the toolbar; I keep my toolbar as small and uncluttered as possible.
Ernie Black, Code Warrior
ProSoundWeb Forums Webmaster

Dave Stevens

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 02:03:23 PM »

Camino is the Gecko engine in an app written using the Cocoa framework, the native OSX object oriented environment.  To get the most from OSX Apple suggests developers use Cocoa.  Camino is couple of revs behind but still pretty stable though it's still beta.

Firefox is the Gecko engine using procedural methods accessing the Carbon API and libs and XUL interface widgets.  It's the next generation "Mozilla" though the Mozilla group has changed the way they work and the names of the product offerings in recent years.

The deal with IE isn't so much pop ups, it's the security model.  About a year ago I took the last XP Pro desktop I had and turned it into a Linux box.  There was so much spyware and malware I couldn't keep it current. It will be interesting to see what kind of conversion stats on Windows to Firefox browsers come in the next year or so while Longhorn is delayed.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 02:12:34 PM »

I will definitely keep an eye on the trend of users to migrate from IE to FF over the next year. In terms of user base, this is the biggest thing since IE made chopped liver of Netscape, and can only bode well.

Bosstard

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 10:12:13 PM »

I also use FireFox, and love it. I like it much better then IE. I love the fact that it gets rid of spyware, blocks pop ups and is safer. I'll never use anything else.. Just a bummer that some sites dont support FF...

Steven.
Bossman sucks

Ernie Black

• SR Forums
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2004, 11:05:50 PM »

Browsers and sites should ideally support standards. While we developers, designers, and programmers have made great strides (just look at any contemporary site making more than a barebones use of CSS in Netscape 4.7 or earlier and compare with any browser today for example), cross-platform and cross-browser issues still remain due to differences in standards implementation. FF is very new--brand new, if you don't count the beta versions--so it will take time to catch on. Sites shouldn't be developed just to support a specific browser or platform, but until standards are uniformly implemented, we'll probably be stuck with some degree of "looks better in IE 6.0" or whatever. With a 75-80% market share of IE and 90% of Windows PCs at PSW, our bottom line requires this combination as the baseline. But I test on multiple browsers and on both the PC (Windows XP/2000 and even 98) and Mac (OS X, plus others in the company on OS 9). With FF making inroads, I will be looking more closely at FF support. But I think FF may be the most compliant browser on the PC, so support really shouldn't be an issue. The back button issue is one I've seen reported re: multiple sites running different software, so that looks like an FF issue at this point, but it bears looking at.

Any feedback you want to provide--with specifics such as your browser version, OS, Internet connection, page(s) in question, etc.--are welcomed.

Ondrej Gratz

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 04:46:00 AM »

Quote:

I'm not sure what can be done about it, but it would be nice if one of those two things could be fixed.

Yes, it would be great if the back button worked. I use Firefox 1.0.
My temporary solution is to open the topic in a new tab (click while holding Ctrl key). When I close it (Ctrl+F4), I'm back.

I can return to the right position using Back button on http://fudforum.org/.
They're using version 2.6.9. Perhaps the problem would be solved if the administrator upgraded to this version.

Anyway, this forum's great.
Sincerely
Ondrej Gratz

Dave Stevens

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 10:04:03 PM »

It's not as easy as just upgrading.  There are several patches that need to be tested and applied in specific orders anytime an upgrade is performed as well as a difference in the data structure.  Ilia has a ton of custom code in this particular version and theres more to it than running the upgrader.

Dave

======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.