ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: understanding zoning  (Read 4713 times)

Tommy Down under

understanding zoning
« on: November 11, 2004, 11:36:10 AM »

Hi guys,
First post on install and slowly learning.
Story...So I've got a 4ch/6 zone 120w mix/amp.So far so good.
I see it has a line out for other amps,I understand that,I see it has it's own 70/100/4/8 ohm spkr conn's,yeah I understand that.Then it has terminals for zone 1 through 6 ?.This is where my confusion starts.Are these line terminals,speaker terminals?
 Why doesn't the unit just have 5 xlr line outputs and use itself 120w as first zone?Am I missing something?....
live mixing is so much simpler Help!!!
TIA
Tommy Down under

Adam Kane

Re: understanding zoning
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 04:55:25 PM »

Perhaps if you could give us the brand and model of the equipment you have, some of us would be glad to help you out a little. Confused

Tommy Down under

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 06:33:14 PM »

Thanks Kane,
 The one I'm thinking is an Australian monitor Amis 120 seems the Yorkville Coliseum ca1 would cause me to ask the same question if that helps.Thanks.

Tony Grimwood

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 08:08:10 PM »

Just looked at AM's website & pulled up the specs. The six zone outputs are connected to the zone selector pushbuttons on the front panel, and pushing those buttons simply routes the 100v output to the relevant zone. There's an "all call" button that routes the 100v output to all 6 zones simultaneously.

http://www.australianmonitor.com.au/amis_ic2.html#AMIS120

tg
Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?

Tommy Down under

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 10:55:29 PM »

Thanx Tony but I'm still confused .70 v line stuff is all new to me so please be patient.So Ive got lets say 6 zones of needing 120w per zone.Now is the amp in the mixer good for one zone?If so,I assume I need 5 more channels of 120w amp for the remaining zones? OR are the six zones routed to the amp in the unit itself and distributes till you've reached 120w?In other words do the zone terminals hook up to spkrs or do they hook up to an amp or my ears ???HELP!  

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 09:33:33 AM »

Perhaps the mental adjustment that you need to consider relates to how constant voltage systems distribute power. The speakers are matched to the 70V-100V line voltage with transformers at each speaker to pull X watts per speaker rather than impedance matching a finite number of speakers to the amplifiers drive impedance capability, so you can just add or subtract speakers (zones) up to the max power capacity of your amplifier.

The only downside to this "economy" approach is that you have a single volume control for all zones, so you must rough balance levels when you set up the system.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Tommy Down under

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 06:56:23 PM »

Thanx JR
I understand that but what I think should be my question perhaps is:are the zone barrier strips on the back of the mixer just signal outputs in the way of bare wire terminals rather than jack/xlr outputs on say aux sends of conventional mixers and if so is the amp in the mixer always a default zone one?
eg:so I'm using four zones:zone 1 :spkrs connected to seperate strip to zone strips on the back of mixer using amp of mixer.
then to add to that zone due to say lack of power in the mixers amp I hook from the zone strips on the back of the mixer zone 1 to a seperate amp channel and then run speakers off that to the same area/zone.(Am I right so far?)Then I connect from barrier strip zone 2 on the back of the mixer to another amp/channel and run the zone 2 spkrs off that and so on...am I getting it or am I just lost in space?
Regards
Tommy Down under  

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 07:25:07 PM »

From their website description of the product....

Speaker Zone Selector
A six position push button speaker zone selector with overriding "all call" is located on the front panel. Each of the six zone selectors switch the 100 volt speaker line output to six separate speaker zones. The "all call" selector overrides all 6 zones regardless of their on/off condition and places the 100 volt output to all six zones.

That sounds pretty clear to me, the zone outputs are 100V.

I would expect 120W to go far for most paging/background applications. The 100V output would be a too hot to route directly to the input of another power amp, but if you must you can always pad the zone outputs 1:100.  Cool  

The concept is to put adequate power for the whole facility into the base unit. It sounds like you are thinking of a zone/matrix mixer. Separate amps would be far more expensive. One important consideration in installed sound is to be cost effective.
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Tommy Down under

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 10:16:22 PM »

Thanks JR you the MAN!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.