ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: digital console  (Read 12788 times)

Tom Young

Re: digital console
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 09:13:20 PM »

Mac is spot on.  

But I would add: Your doing what lots of churches do; you come up with a sum of money and then declare that you will buy all that you need at that particular moment with this budget. It doesn't work that way (in any type of purchase) and you will end up with sub par equipment that needs to be upgraded so that you have just plain fairly decent sound.

Do research, decide what you can buy with this budget and then get more money to complete the job in a half-way decent manner.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Mark T

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2004, 10:33:02 AM »

FWIW,

We have been using a Roland VM-7200 digital console in our church for about 18 months and have had excellent results with it.  As of last year, it is no longer manufactured but you can find them used on e-bay.  We recently purchased a used second system with 2 processors (40 inputs, 12 aux sends) and a full complement of outboard A/D-D/A converters (which gives us a total of 96 inputs, each with eq, and compression plus 48 direct outputs) for $4,000.  The reason for the second system was to build a road kit and to prepare for an additional sanctuary. This also gave us some redundancy in case we do have support problems (that is the obvious downside of buying gear that is out of production).

We would have loved to buy a PM5D or even a DM2000 but the reality was that it just wasn't going to fit our budget.  Instead, we chose to focus the budget dollars on acoustic consulting and speaker selection/placement.  Those things are much harder change/fix so I'd like to do them as well as possible.  In our case, we knew we could use a lower cost mixer and still do everything we needed to do. As often happens, we had to make a compromise that could fit our budget and still meet our needs.  This board has done that well for us.  Is it the ideal mixer? No.  Are we happy with it? Absolutely!

I echo all of the comments regarding learning curves for digital mixers.  It will take some time to get used to.  Our operators took anywhere from two weeks to two months to get comfortable with the features they need every week.  Even after 18 months, only two of us are really familiar with all of the boards capabilities.  That may seem like a problem but I could have said the same thing about the Mackie SR24-4 we replaced. Some people just want to know enough to get by; I'm not happy until I have a schematic in my hand. Smile

Having scene presets is wonderful.  We have three seperate service configurations across 5 different services and moving from one to the next is as simple as pressing a button.  That button restores every preamp gain, fader level, aux send (all 12 of them), eq, and compressor to the place they need to be.  We may still have to tweak a setting here or there but that's much easier than setting 40 levels across 13 busses.

Being able to recall scenes also makes it possible for a great operator to create a starting point for a newbie.  Our operators seem to learn faster when they aren't immediately overwhelmed by all of the settings that need to be made for a contemporary service with a full band.  Learning a little at a time seems to work well.

I have to say that this forum is a great place to get ideas and share experiences.  I always learn something when I check in but the thing that always strikes me is that one solution does not fit all.  Looking at the other posts, it appears you have several options.  Your job is to find the one that fits your church best. Smile

Elgaard

• http://www.impressivesound.dk
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 03:45:19 AM »

Personally I can only recommend ditalmixers. We have just bougth a Yamaha 01v96 and 3 Behringer ADA 8000 ADAT converters. In that way we have 32 ch. in and a LOT of outputs.

The sound is clear and welldefined. If you compare the price of the things you get with at digitalmixer (01v96) and and a medium price analog mixer, I will for sure choose the digital solution. You have effects, dynamic effects, eq and the hole package rigth at your hand.

Another thing that have been a big problem in the past for us, was the kids tampering with the gear. Its history now. Start up the gear, press 1, and everything is exactly as I have stored them.

When you are going to expand to 64 channels: Buy a mixer more, and two Behringer ADA 8000 ADAT converters. Then just cascade.

In Denmark a setup with 64 channel will cost approx. $6.600 plus taxes. Thats cheap  Surprised

I hope this will help you a bit. You are welcome to contact me for further advice.

God bless

Elgaard

Elgaard

• http://www.impressivesound.dk
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 03:47:57 AM »

See my reply to the original message!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 03:47:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.